1970 5ph briggs DUNCYCLE

Hey guys have a 1971 5ph briggs original dunecycle engine. Having problems getting it started. No spark but if I hold the spark plug wire I get a good shock. Checked the point, its clean. Aldo there are 3 wire coming out. 1 from the ignition coil and 2 from were the point is. Any ideas?? I know there probably for a kill switch just not sure how the set up. And advice would be helpful since I'm so new with the old engines. Tha is guys !!

You say no spark, then you say when you hold the wire, you get a good shock. So, where is there no spark? Have you pulled the plug? How does it look? How is the gap? What is the gap setting for the points? Did you check the condenser? Have you checked the gap setting on the coil? Are you getting fuel into the carb?
When I faced a similar situation, I made the decision to upgrade to the electronic ignition. It makes life a whole lot easier. No points, no condenser. Just cut the leads from the points and plug the new coil to the spark plug.

You say no spark, then you say when you hold the wire, you get a good shock. So, where is there no spark? Have you pulled the plug? How does it look? How is the gap? What is the gap setting for the points? Did you check the condenser? Have you checked the gap setting on the coil? Are you getting fuel into the carb?
When I faced a similar situation, I made the decision to upgrade to the electronic ignition. It makes life a whole lot easier. No points, no condenser. Just cut the leads from the points and plug the new coil to the spark plug.
Got it started!! The gap on the coil was a little off and I attached 2 of the 2 wires together and she sparked right up. Now I thing she just needs a carb rebuilt and should be good. Any idea on the value of these engines? Thanks for the help by the way!!

Is that a universal upgrade? Heard of it never done it but want to.. thanks!

I don't know how, "universal" it is, but it is worlds away from messing with points and condenser every now and again. I have heard of it for years, but my trike was my first attempt. I think it's probably the easiest and most important upgrade one can do, to a stock engine.

Got it started!! The gap on the coil was a little off and I attached 2 of the 2 wires together and she sparked right up. Now I thing she just needs a carb rebuilt and should be good. Any idea on the value of these engines? Thanks for the help by the way!!

Sounds great. As I forced myself to learn, the carb rebuild is easy. Just spray everything with carb cleaner, even the little orifices and pickup tube ends.