1970 rupp roadster gas tank

fistfullabar

Is there a way to replace the threads on the bottom of the tank? Used to be able to buy a square threaded replacement that you could weld on. I swore O.M.B. used to carry them.

delray

yes, they should be solder welded. the part you need replace will be Azusa part az_8333 also will need a 40/60 acid core wire solder and the flux liquid and clean and clean the surface. going to say it one more time. clean...……….surface... before solding the new part on.

delray

your correct karen they do sell them. the picture they post on there warehouse site is wrong. that's good thing. they are posting the old style part which was terrible. sometimes you would get one and the threads would be so bad that your petcock would thread right to the bottom or worse,right out the other end. here is what the new style looks like(10x better) now the part threads about half way and snugs up tight.

cfh

Why not run a 1/8 NPT tap through the threads before you go through the trouble of replacing the plate? Also i would juse a new value too. the combination of those two things may fix your problem.

Also these tanks were soldered together. if they hit 350 degrees, the solder melts. So replacing that part isn't a huge deal. But just keep that in mind when working on these tanks.

fistfullabar

The chromers around here will chrome anything but they are in to bikes and restoring. Will most likly to have them do it all from dent removal to removing the seams and adding the new bung. $$$!!! I have 2 chromers 3 blocks from my home. I can walk a box of parts there and back!