1970 Speedway Scorpion rehab update

After a few months of mechanical rebuilding starting from the bare frame, it is 99% done. The toughest part was finding a correct belt, cleaning the clutch sheaves and replacing the driven clutch/chain sprocket jackshaft. I have an nos Speedway belt that I measured at work using a belt measuring tool. I found a Goodyear 5L240 (5/8 x 24") cogged belt on eBay. It is a "touch" snug on the clutches, but the acceleration and operation of the original clutches is great. Rear fender and rear brake cable are new from BW, but the rest of the bike is original including paint, fuel gauge, seat, tires, engine. I freshened up the engine with new rings, seals, gaskets, valve lapping, coil. I have to re-locate the horn downward and adjust the high speed mixture on carb when the weather clears here in CNY.

Attachments

cfh

looks awesome. i gave up trying to find original 5/8" speedway clutch belts. i did a quick search on your Goodyear 5L240 belt, they are not easy to get either. but glad at least you found some sort of replacement. that's why i've moved to comet series20 setup with 3/4" #203578 belt. better performance and cheaper and parts are available, you can get the 203578 belt easily. it's not original, and the 6" driven needs more room to fit in the frame, but in the end if you ride the bike, it's a better solution.
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/p/speedway1972scarab_mine3.jpg
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/p/speedway1972scarab_mine4.jpg

Last edited:

cfh

to me, 1970 is my least favorite speedway year. parts are impossible to find, especially the gas tank. the frame is weak and easily breaks. and i don't like the 1970 wheels. also not a fan of the white motor scheme. my favorite year is actually late 1972 to mid-1973 with the flat back tail behind the seat and the frame that is modified for a 6" driven torque converter, and the reinforced frame at the down/head tubes, but still with the high rise handlebars.
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/p/speedway1973scarab_mine3.jpg
www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/p/speedway1973scarab_mine4.jpg

I have been keeping my eyes out for a 72 - 73 model that is in decent restorable condition. The few that I have seen are trashed, rusted and missing 90% of the parts.

cfh

speedways are nearly always a mess. the 1970 models are the worse as far as "mess" and "missing parts". that's why i don't bother with them. the late 1972/1973 models seem to be less of a "mess". It's typical on speedways. i did a nine part youtube series on bring a 1972 Red Baron speedway back from a "mess", you can check it out. it shows a lot of work arounds for part problems, which apples to both 10" and 14" wheel speedways. but i've never found a 10" wheel speedway model that was not a disaster. Now 14" wheels models, i have found a couple survivors. maybe because they were more expensive? or because the 14" wheel bikes are bigger, so small hooligans aren't interested. not sure...

to me, 1970 is my least favorite speedway year. parts are impossible to find, especially the gas tank. the frame is weak and easily breaks. and i don't like the 1970 wheels. also not a fan of the white motor scheme. my favorite year is actually late 1972 to mid-1973 with the flat back tail behind the seat and the frame that is modified for a 6" driven torque converter, and the reinforced frame at the down/head tubes, but still with the high rise handlebars.
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/p/speedway1973scarab_mine3.jpg
www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/p/speedway1973scarab_mine4.jpg
there is no difference between early 72 and late 72 besides tire and shocks changes early in 72 and the indent mid year on the 14” wheel tanks.

cfh

there is no difference between early 72 and late 72 besides tire and shocks changes early in 72 and the indent mid year on the 14” wheel tanks.
in that time frame on 10" wheel bikes actually they moved the position of the jackshaft. moved it about 1/2" towards the front of the bike so a 6" driven TC does not hit the front edge of the swingarm. this may have also changed the motor position slightly too, because it's still the same belt. my guess is that happened early 1973. and they changed the footpegs to be the same as the 14" models. and some other subtle changes so parts between 10" and 14" wheel bikes were shared. 10" wheel bike handlebar change i believe happened more like mid 1973.

in that time frame on 10" wheel bikes actually they moved the position of the jackshaft. moved it about 1/2" towards the front of the bike so a 6" driven TC does not hit the front edge of the swingarm. this may have also changed the motor position slightly too, because it's still the same belt. my guess is that happened early 1973. and they changed the footpegs to be the same as the 14" models. and some other subtle changes so parts between 10" and 14" wheel bikes were shared. 10" wheel bike handlebar change i believe happened more like mid 1973.
from the beginning of 72 thru 73 the 10” wheel bike were basically the same. The change to the driven clutch came at the beginning of 72 with the redesign.

f4radar

speedways are nearly always a mess. the 1970 models are the worse as far as "mess" and "missing parts". that's why i don't bother with them. the late 1972/1973 models seem to be less of a "mess". It's typical on speedways. i did a nine part youtube series on bring a 1972 Red Baron speedway back from a "mess", you can check it out. it shows a lot of work arounds for part problems, which apples to both 10" and 14" wheel speedways. but i've never found a 10" wheel speedway model that was not a disaster. Now 14" wheels models, i have found a couple survivors. maybe because they were more expensive? or because the 14" wheel bikes are bigger, so small hooligans aren't interested. not sure...
I just watched your series...very nicely done, thanks!

Very nice survivor. Great job cleaning it up. 1970 speedways are my favorite.
I bought this bike about 20+ years ago off of eBay for $400. I drove from Syracuse, NY to Kannapolis, NC to pick it up. The wife and I made a weekend out of it. Aside from the speeding ticket in NC, it was a great weekend. Now that I look at the prices of these older bikes in original condition, this was more than a great deal, even after the speeding ticket charge!

I bought this bike about 20+ years ago off of eBay for $400. I drove from Syracuse, NY to Kannapolis, NC to pick it up. The wife and I made a weekend out of it. Aside from the speeding ticket in NC, it was a great weekend. Now that I look at the prices of these older bikes in original condition, this was more than a great deal, even after the speeding ticket charge!
70 speedways have a great look and great tip on the goodyear belt

70 speedways have a great look and great tip on the goodyear belt
Since the belt I used is a "touch tight" as I mentioned, my guess the original belt was probably 5/8 x 24.25". I have seen 24.5" belts, but quarter inch increments in belt terms is actually quite a bit of distance.