1971 MTD Trail Flite gas tank wanted

I have a 1971 MTD Trail Flite model 361-650. It's the one with the headlight and removable handle bars. The plastic tank that I have is old and cracked and will not hold gas. I am looking for one to replace it for my restoration of the bike I have had since I was a kid. I have attached a pic of a bike that has the same type gas tank that I am looking for. Any assistance in locating one of these in good shape would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

cfh

where is the tank cracked and or leaking? you know the rubber grommet that holds the gas valve should *always* be replaced (and this usually fixes any leakage problems.)

It is cracked along the bottom in the middle. There looks to be a line where the plastic tank was put together in the middle of the tank.. where do I get a good rubber grommet that will hold the valve? I am going to buy a plastic welding kit from Harbor Freight and see if I can fix it that way.

cfh

do NOT use JB weld on this gas tank. It's won't hold. and since the tank flexes, and Jb weld does not, it won't work.
The harbor frieght plastic welder is the way to go. i've repaired this style tank before, and it works quite well.

Last edited:

Gdiddy58

I have a 1971 MTD Trail Flite model 361-650. It's the one with the headlight and removable handle bars. The plastic tank that I have is old and cracked and will not hold gas. I am looking for one to replace it for my restoration of the bike I have had since I was a kid. I have attached a pic of a bike that has the same type gas tank that I am looking for. Any assistance in locating one of these in good shape would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have one if you still need it.