1972 Rupp Roadster2 questions

I bought a 1972 Rupp Roadster2 today. It is a project bike... not a ready to ride specimen.
It has a head light on it but no tail light. I don't know if the headlight was just bolted on for looks by someone or if it came with it. There aren't any handle bar switches either.

Is there a serial number anywhere I can look for and possibly trace to see what the bike originally had on it?

Currently it has a white HS 40 on it but no lighting coil. I got a black H35 that came with the deal that has a Rupp sticker on the pull start shroud but no lighting coil. It has a 3" crank shaft snout.
Did all Roadster2's have lights?
I can list the serial numbers from the engines no problem but don't know where to look for frame serial numbers.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Danford1

Update: It may not be a 72. It looks like it had a green frame that someone painted black...

Last edited:

markus

some of the "tells" to look for to see if it was a Roadster2 originally up to 1972-ish other than headlight is remains of a brake light switch on the rear brake cable, reflector bases mounted to the upper shock mounts, and if the original seat cover is there it would have a large cut out the size of the hole in the pan and 2 holes for the bolts to pass through as opposed to most others they offered at the time that would just have a single slit or small X cut out for the small mount stud on the single reflector, or nothing at all.

Numbers were under the seat on the pan, the pans collected moisture badly and rotted out and the decals didn't always stay on. they wont identify the bike usually but you can get a better idea of year off it with they way its numbered. the later models (1973-up I believe) they were stamped I am told, I could never find the stamp on the later one I had but bit was pretty crusty under the seat. A stamped frame would be black only.

markus

:laugh: I looked everywhere on the TOP :doah: No wonder!!! I remember not pulling the seat all the way off as I didnt want to disturb the tail light and the rusted/frozen snaps, thanks for posting that up Now I know where to look if I get another.

Is your a 1975? Mine started with 560....according to the title anyway.

ran great, Came off a barrier Island here in FL though, and looked like it :laugh:

Thanks I'll look it over and see what I find. I know the rear brake cable is missing so no brake light switch pieces. No wiring harness anywhere on it that I could see.
It has 12" spoke wheels and small RUPP letters on the seat cover. I bought a 72 Scrambler and this Roadster2 from the same guy. He got them both together in a trade a few years ago but never did anything with them. He didn't know any history on them.
The scrambler I'm 99% sure is a 72. This one with the green paint under the black on the frame concerns me.
Neither one has a title but I don't know if they ever did.

Did ALL Roadster2's have lights? Is it possible mine is a Roadster2 without lights?

I can post pics later, Thanks.

Danford1

Last edited:
I removed the seat and found the serial number. It is 2207815, does this mean it is a 1972?

I'm still searching the net for this answer. Does anyone here know?

Thanks
Danford1

I removed the seat and found the serial number. It is 2207815, does this mean it is a 1972?

I'm still searching the net for this answer. Does anyone here know?

Thanks
Danford1
You know the drill...
...post some pics
Michael

You know the drill...
...post some pics
Michael
Here are a couple pics. It may look rough but runs good :)
I'm starting to collect some new parts for it. I have a new seat cover, new Tecumseh air cleaner assy, rear seat grab bar, new clutch cover, some decals etc.
Since it isn't all original, I may add a Comet 20 series torque converter to it as the stock set up has worn sheaves. A previous owner drilled the headlight bucket and mounted a kill switch there ... I may have to start a search for a good bucket.

Danford1

PS I somehow also attached a pic of my Scrambler but can't figure out how to delete it...
The Scrambler has had updates since this old pic. It has an HS40, new cables, new brakes etc.
How do I delete it from this post?

File_000 (23).jpeg

File_001 (14).jpeg

Attachments

Last edited: