2 or 4 cycle for this Stellar?

Picked up this 4 in wheel Stellar the other day and I'm thinking it's possible this model came with the 2 cycle Clinton originally. But the ads I've seen show those with the straight handle bars. And it does look like I could fit a 4 stroke Tecumseh in it although a little close. Does anyone know the measurement between the engine mount and the top rail on the early 2 cycle Stellar's?

Also, I will be looking for the scrub brake and hardware in the Wanted section (The seller took the foot brake and bent it to make a kick stand. Sigh). If anyone has one they want to sell let me know.

1stBxMopar

It's similar but not the 2 stroke scoot along, the backbone of the frame is at a more vertical angle on the Model "A" exactly like Brian's bike.
I believe if you and Brian compared measurements from the bottom horizontal frame tube to the top frame tube, you'll probably find that Brian's bike, the Model "A" is taller than the 2 stroke ............

Another difference is the drum brake on the scoot along compared to the scrub brake on the Model "A".......

Last edited:
"Does anyone know the measurement between the engine mount and the top rail on the early 2 cycle Stellar's"?

I just saw your question. I will measure it tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a Clinton Panther my trading partner just got, if it will run or can be rebuilt easily I'll try to get it. I've seen a couple with the Clinton and like the look very much. Here's my old beater Stellar: