2 Speed clutch questions

pomfish

I am working on a TrailBlazer with the 2 speed, the secondary clutch says Comet. The primary I have not had off yet but believe it to be Comet as well. Engine is Tec HS50.
Will be replacing the 2 short chains tomorrow.
My concern is that the primary clutch floats on the engine shaft and did not have the set screw installed. Also it can float all the way to the engine case. However it does not appear that it has done that too much as there are no big gouges into the side case.
Should this clutch have machine washers behind it to keep it from wandering in that far?
Or is it made to just align itself with the jackshaft sprockets on it's own?

The one way sprocket seemed to have a little glitch when turned by hand in the freewheel mode and I was able to work some motor oil in behind the outside dust plate and it seemed to smooth out so that is good.
Bearings are very good on the jackshaft with no play and the sprockets all look good with no major teeth wear.

Thanks for any guidance.
Later,
Keith

capguncowboy

The 2nd speed clutch (jackshaft) bell should be keyed and locked onto the jackshaft. The inner portion will free spin. There should be snap rings on either side of the clutch bell. Some also used a lock collar

pomfish

The 2nd speed clutch (jackshaft) bell should be keyed and locked onto the jackshaft. The inner portion will free spin. There should be snap rings on either side of the clutch bell. Some also used a lock collar
The jackshaft clutch seems fine, no movement and it spins free on the inner portion.
It is the engine clutch I am concerned about.
Thanks,
Keith

capguncowboy

Sorr about that. I was half asleep when I replied.

I don't know if the clutch needs a spacer between it and the engine, but it shouldn't be floating around on the shaft. It needs a bolt on the crankshaft. Any play in that chain will cause stretching and eventually chain failure

Keith,
We have had 2 Sears Ropers with the 2-speed clutches/jackshafts. One has a Tec HS50 and one had a Tec H60. Neither 2-sprocket engine clutch has a set screw. You DO need to have a crank PTO that is threaded and just install a bolt and washer to keep the clutch on. A bit of clutch "wandering" on the crank end does not hurt anything.
Michael