2 Speed Clutch

Need some guidance on hooking up my 2 speed clutch on my Fox.

I have a newer engine on my bike so I am thinking this is the issue. But maybe not.

I got the clutch and it came with a bunch of washers. I assume those are for making the chains line up?

But when I put the first part of the clutch on all is good, then I put the weights and springs part on, with the key way and that is all good. First chain lines up good.

When I put the other half on it doesn't mount on the engines shaft. Like the shaft is too short.

Do they sell extensions for these?

Attachments

I've never worked with clutches, but I have machined a "sort of" extension for the outer sheave of my TAV2. Not sure if it could work for a clutch (this design anyway). I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Ok...I'll bite...and I've never set up a two speed clutch system.

But here as has been my observation....unless you are working with some sort of new racing clutch that I know absolutely nothing about....most of the 'vintage' two speed set ups were accomplished with two clutches...but not on the same shaft.

Please forgive my lack of appropriate technical terms (or if I'm completely off base),....it's been my observation of these vintage two speed set up's, that there's usually one clutch on the 'pto' shaft of the engine, we'll call that the driver....that is connected to a second clutch, we'll call the driven...that resides on a secondary shaft (jackshaft) that is mounted to the rear of the motor....via a set of two chains, and the jackshaft has a sprocket on the other end where another chain drives the rear sprocket.

I do not know how to explain "how it works"...but hope that someone will chime in with a link to good information for this type set up. Or perhaps someone who recognizes your clutches, and know's what to do....:laugh:

Good luck though.

Edit...yes...I find a nice diagram in my notes, that I saved from here by Jon Pardue [MENTION=1625]Inventorpardue[/MENTION]...with contribution from [MENTION=11]Neck[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23500]Andrewp[/MENTION]....trying to find the actual link.

Here you go...click this...the link is in the very first post by [MENTION=1625]Inventorpardue[/MENTION] :

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...764-chain-speed-transmission-illustrated.html

Once you click that link...it loads a pdf file...keep in mind...you can save that pdf file to your computer for future reference....like this...:laugh:

Last edited:
Ok...I'll bite...and I've never set up a two speed clutch system.

But here as has been my observation....unless you are working with some sort of new racing clutch that I know absolutely nothing about....most of the 'vintage' two speed set ups were accomplished with two clutches...but not on the same shaft.

Please forgive my lack of appropriate technical terms (or if I'm completely off base),....it's been my observation of these vintage two speed set up's, that there's usually one clutch on the 'pto' shaft of the engine, we'll call that the driver....that is connected to a second clutch, we'll call the driven...that resides on a secondary shaft (jackshaft) that is mounted to the rear of the motor....via a set of two chains, and the jackshaft has a sprocket on the other end where another chain drives the rear sprocket.

I do not know how to explain "how it works"...but hope that someone will chime in with a link to good information for this type set up. Or perhaps someone who recognizes your clutches, and know's what to do....:laugh:

Good luck though.

Edit...yes...I find a nice diagram in my notes, that I saved from here by Jon Pardue [MENTION=1625]Inventorpardue[/MENTION]...with contribution from [MENTION=11]Neck[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23500]Andrewp[/MENTION]....trying to find the actual link.

Here you go...click this...the link is in the very first post by [MENTION=1625]Inventorpardue[/MENTION] :

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...764-chain-speed-transmission-illustrated.html

Once you click that link...it loads a pdf file...keep in mind...you can save that pdf file to your computer for future reference....like this...:laugh:
I could see how having two clutches on the crankshaft could work (as long as they would both fit). Just have the engagement of the low-speed be lower than the high-speed. It wouldn't be as clean as the vintage setups, but it would work.

Sorry about not getting that picture of the shaft extension. I just got hit with the flu.:repuke:

markus

Like I had stated in your other thread reguarding a replacement engine, the Fox spoke wheel bikes came with an extended crankshaft engine, very few engines have that option. On top of that the fairbanks morse double clutch is even too wide for those, so they used an additional spacer to help keep it on there.

In your attached photos it looks like someone took the time to make a spacer for the standard shaft engine you have (pic #2) not sure what it going on with that long bushing protruding out with the whole assembly on the engine shot though, it should not be that far out.

Here is drawing and prduct review description from 1969 mini bike guide to give an idea of how it works and is setup.

Here is the breakdown of the driver and driven showing the spacers, where they go etc.. (they dont get into the driver clutches at all they treat them as one unit, but you can see the spacer listed #25)

Not sure if it's relevant anymore, but I got the pics of the so called "shaft extension." You could make it a bit longer so the front face bottoms on the end of the crank so the clutches have a little float. This one is shorter so the hex shoulder would hold a TAV2 tight on the crank. The hex is a lifesaver when you need to hold the crank still.

100_4268.JPG

100_4269.JPG

100_4270.JPG