2018 Build Off - Just for Fun - Baja Heat - Glory Days

Submitting in Just for Fun because I started and stopped on this multiple times last year.

I have a MB165 frame that I want to use in conjunction with a new Lifan 6.5 electric start clone. In the past I drilled out a hole for the switch on the front frame brace but routing the wiring through the frame proved difficult so I’ll start everything over. Frame will be powered coated not sure on other parts.

So here is what I’d like to do: Relocate the starter switch away from the block, use an existing real gas tank that I never got around to sealing, make a battery tray that sits where the Lifan gas tank used to fit, run the front and back lights off the battery, use a large SpeedRacer tire out back (I have that), bob the rear fender, hopefully replace the front forks with a set up from a Honda CB 125 including tire, rim, brake, speedo and headlamp bucket. Looking at trying to modify the seat. Depending on rear tire spacing use a PMR jackshaft set up or a TC. Replace the motor mounting plate and check all the welds.

Stretch goal is to find a way to introduce a foot brake for the rear tire and add blinkers.

Naming the build Glory Days because I want to incorporate the colors (green) and some of the design characteristics of my first 2 cars as a teenager. First was a 1966 Dodge Coronet coupe that only drove in reverse and the second was a pristine 1972 Plymouth Satellite.

Worked on the project last night.

Created a couple wiring harnesses, at least a simplified harness, for the electric start. Built it in sections. The first section will run across the top cross member from the relocated key switch. The next section will connect to it and run to the new battery box which is where all the electrical connections will be housed. Need to decide if Ill follow the same process for the lights and horn.

Tonight I'm going to finish up welding the Baja center stem to a Honda 125 triple tree.

Last edited:
Cut up the Baja triple tree and grafted the center stem onto the Honda set up. Once that was completed I was able to put the CB125 forks and rim onto the Baja. The 20" looks way to big to me. I tried my sons 16" rim and it looks much better. I will need to decide if I go with the 16 or 17" rim as long as it has the front drum brake and speedo connection. Also started to strip the gas tank I'm going to use.

Received new handlebars and rubber bushing for headlight bucket bracket I want to use. Last night I put on the bars and headlight bucket to see how they look together. Pictures added of my unintended handlebar collection, headlamp bucket and photo of handlebars and bucket on bike.

The headlamp bracket is set up to mount a speedo and ignition switch. My switch will be near the steering On another project Ill find a way to use the Honda switch.

New handle bars have a 10 inch rise and curve towards the back of bike.

This weekend I want to continue work on the gas tank and determine how high up and out front I want it to be. I have an old battery box to use for set up purposes but am making a new one that's a little larger. Ill add a picture of the old box, its a mess and is one its 5th or 6th modification.

Two small updates. Created a new battery box that will sit where the original Lifan gas tank sat. The new one is really 2 boxes in one. The inner box is to house the battery and the outer box will be used for the wiring. The one just had way too many modifications to be viable.

Also the chopped rear fender. Cut the fender brackets off so I could reposition the fender to accommodate the larger Speed Racer tire.

Next up will be mounting the new battery box and running the wiring.

Moving right along. You have the same idea with the battery box that I have...mount it to the engine using the tank mount, 'cept mine is an H60.
Yep after looking at that big open spot where the gas tank was I needed something to put in there. Still trying to figure out a lid for it. Won’t be too much clearance between the box and the real gas tank.

Working on electrical and it gets frustrating. I did a temp wiring job and got her started. Now I'm trying to make all the connections a little more permanent. Tonight Ill see if I put it all back together correctly!!!!! New LED headlamp on order and thinking through how to charge the battery without having to take it out of the new battery box.

Gas tank is at the sand blaster. I moved to the rear tire and wheel last night. I'm trying to incorporate features from my first 2 cars into the build and on my Plymouth I added Cragars and painted the brake drums Hemi orange. Had to find a way to include that in my build.

For the rear tire I'm using the larger Speed Racer so I need to move the rear sprocket outward for the chain to clear the tire. Since the original sprockets have the correct OD and bolt pattern I took an old one and ground the teeth off. I then took a piece of sheet metal and matched it to the ground down sprocket and placed the new sprocket on top. The sheet metal middle piece was painted Hemi orange just like my Plymouth. To look like a Cragar I chromed the sprocket and added new bolts but I think Ill replace them with something with a hex head to better match the Cragar.

Last edited:
Gas tank is at the sand blaster. I moved to the rear tire and wheel last night. I'm trying to incorporate features from my first 2 cars into the build and on my Plymouth I added Cragars and painted the brake drums Hemi orange. Had to find a way to include that in my build.

For the rear tire I'm using the larger Speed Racer so I need to move the rear sprocket outward for the chain to clear the tire. Since the original sprockets have the correct OD and bolt pattern I took an old one and ground the teeth off. I then took a piece of sheet metal and matched it to the ground down sprocket and placed the new sprocket on top. The sheet metal middle piece was painted Hemi orange just like my Plymouth. To look like a Cragar I chromed the sprocket and added new bolts but I think Ill replace them with something with a hex head to better match the Cragar.

Put the bolt through from the inside and use polished stainless acorn nuts if you want it to look more like a lugnut...

Doug