2018 Build Off - Just for Fun - Baja Heat - Glory Days

Been awhile since I've shared an update or pictures.

Adding photos.

Gas tank has been sand blasted, new jackshaft, ape hangers and grips installed, engine in place, battery box wired and installed, start switch relocated and wire harness in place.

I wanted to give the build a lower look so I raised the rear axle up a bit. Need to make it a little longer for adjusting and adjustment brackets need to be relocated.

This week I'll fill in all the old holes in the frame and redo the factory welds. After that its off to the sandblaster.

Still to do: locate the headlamp bucket, decide what to do with the seat and make a top for the battery box.

Still kicking around the idea of replacing the rear brake handle with a foot brake. I have the material but need to judge how much time Ill have left after the sand blasting.

Lowered the axle by about a 1/2 inch to make tire and rim sit lower. Had to also relocate the axle retaining brackets to align with new location of the axle

Battery box with lid on and picture of the underside. The long bolts will secure the box to the existing gas tank brackets on the 6.5 clone. The battery box top is held on by a bolt in the front and back. The battery box will be powder coated silver to match the engine. The holes on the bottom are for the wires from the starter solenoid.

Last edited:
And finally a picture of the battery box without the top on. The inner box will hold the battery and the connections will be linked to the power bar on the outside of the inner box. The last picture shows the back of the box, towards the rear brace, and it has 2 holes. The large hole is for the harness running from the lights, engine and starter switch and the smaller hole is for the charging port that will make for easy charging without having to take off the lid. Straps with clips will hold the battery in place.

Last edited:
Received the powder coated parts yesterday. The frame is black with a tint of blue metallic and the gas tank, fender, flywheel cover and chain guard are metallic white. The battery box is silver with a clear coat.

Missing a set of shock bolts that would stop me from test driving. Couldn't find new ones so the old ones are getting refinished. After 5 months I hope $10 in bolts wont stop me from getting finished. Going out of town Friday so Thursday is my last day to get finished.

Latest photos are attached.

I received the fork bolts yesterday afternoon and did some assembly work last night.

Posted a thread on the General Discussion Board asking for thoughts on the sixe of the front tire. The pictures below have 18" rim and Ive gotten mixed reviews on it. Is it too big or should I go with a 16"?

Hope to finish the wiring today and start her up.

Well I came close. Had to go out of the country for work and ran into a start up problem before I left which meant I missed the cut off.

I will finish the project and continue to post. I had a plan for next year as well.