2018 Build Off questions and answer thread

[MENTION=55384]Daniel Coop[/MENTION].... In the rules it mentions about a minimum for all groups and if there are 10 or more (drag bikes for instance) in the combined groups..they will be moved to their own. We did our job...now it is up to the participants to put up their end. Thanks...

First, my PROFOUND THANKS to the organizers and worker-bees of the competition. I know it’s a lot of work to throw a party so that the rest of us can have some fun! I am refreshing my offer to do whatever is needed if you wind up short handed....

Now to my question: It’s my first build-off and am looking forward to bringing a neglected Ruttman Grasshopper back to life. The engine and some other bits will NOT be either vintage or stock unless I suddenly find a very nice H-40. What class would my Ruttman belong in if I go with a modern clone for power and add lights etc so that I can ride on my local streets at night?

I am thinking Vintage Open (?) but wanted to make darn sure I understand the rules.

Many thanks,
Don

Last edited:
First, my PROFOUND THANKS to the organizers and worker-bees of the competition. I know it’s a lot of work to throw a party so that the rest of us can have some fun! I am refreshing my offer to do whatever is needed if you wind up short handed....

Now to my question: It’s my first build-off and am looking forward to bringing a neglected Ruttman Chopper back to life. The engine and some other bits will NOT be either vintage or stock unless I suddenly find a very nice H-40. What class would my Ruttman belong in if I go with a modern clone for power and add lights etc so that I can ride in on my local streets at night?

I am thinking Vintage Open (?)mbut wanted to make darn sure I understand the rules.

Many thanks,
Don

Have a Ruttman Chopper that I will bring back to life bb
Yes sir, vintage open would be your class.

Thank you for your interest and looking forward to seeing your ruttman!

Now to my question: It’s my first build-off and am looking forward to bringing a neglected Ruttman Grasshopper back to life. The engine and some other bits will NOT be either vintage or stock unless I suddenly find a very nice H-40. What class would my Ruttman belong in if I go with a modern clone for power and add lights etc so that I can ride on my local streets at night?

I am thinking Vintage Open (?) but wanted to make darn sure I understand the rules.

Many thanks,
Don
You are welcome...and Thank you. And we appreciate the offer of lending a hand, but at this point everything is manageable. We may need your assistance later to go around and kick people in the rump if they start slowing down or becoming lax with the rules..lol. And like mrpat mentioned...Vintage Open is your ticket. Thanks, Bill

Total disclosure: I started my from scratch bike a long time ago (See thread "First Mini Bike" on Projects and Rides) I am 100% planning to have this totally done this year. I thought I seen a category that had already started bikes already? This where I'm at right now.... Is it possible to move my thread to the Build Off Section??
IMG_0312.JPG

Total disclosure: I started my from scratch bike a long time ago (See thread "First Mini Bike" on Projects and Rides) I am 100% planning to have this totally done this year. I thought I seen a category that had already started bikes already? This where I'm at right now.... Is it possible to move my thread to the Build Off Section??
View attachment 102252
As a moderator of the build off, I have that ability within the Build Off section. I do not have that ability outside of this section. Let's see if we can get some help and get it put in the Just For Fun category. [MENTION=1]Hent[/MENTION]

View attachment 102252
As a moderator of the build off, I have that ability within the Build Off section. I do not have that ability outside of this section. Let's see if we can get some help and get it put in the Just For Fun category. [MENTION=1]Hent[/MENTION]
Just start a new thread in the Build Off under Just For Fun Class. You can also add a link to your old thread in it if you choose.

Last edited:

red baron

To the moderators!

I got up this morning and jumped on the computer to check on the build off like I have since I threw my name in the hat a week or so ago. A light bulb came on all of a sudden and I realized two things.1) I'm obsessed with the build off and I'm having a ball. 2) At some point Cheezy1 went through and organized all the build threads. That must have sucked!!! This forum makes my head spin when I try to navigate it. I was out having fun last night enjoying myself and This guy was hacking away organizing the build threads for us to enjoy.

I want to say thank you to Cheezy1 and mr.pat and anyone else I may not know about for all their effort. I have helped organize and run events as I know many others have. There's a lot of time and energy spent behind the scenes keeping things organized and running smoothly that most people will never know about. It's a ton of work and a lot of b.s.! Without you folks none of us would be here doing the build off or enjoying the forum. Nobody is exactly eager to volunteer to oversee this contest or anything else on the forum but you guys seem to always step up. You take time away from your own busy lives, your family,friends and the very hobbies that drive you to work on the forum. You guys are rock stars in my book!

Thank you for the kind words!
I am going to speak for myself and cheezy1 and say if it wasn't for all of YOU guys, this build off wouldn't even take place. Thank you and everyone else who is participating in the build off (even if it is encouraging comments and advice on a build off thread). It's exciting to see the many talents out there and the passion for these little bikes.

Keep up the good work and rock on!:rockon: