224 mild build

SAS289

Basic 224 mild build just for fun. The 196 it replaced runs fine and will rip again.

6270 clone rod
570 CH flat-top appx .003" in the hole
.036" head gasket
Stock head short side mild ported.
Champion rockers
252 Rattlesnake cam
Stock carb with a .037 jet
Stock Flywheel and timing.
Stock muffler with deflector pipe.
***Clone blower housing and starter cup***
Coleman 200 tank

Runs well. Gets to a higher RPM (4420) in short full throttle bursts in the yard than the 196 (4300). Should do better with the planned header pipe and mini 91 silencer. It's also getting the PVL flywheel from the 196. May change jetting and possibly use a bored carb.

20220507_165317.jpg 20220507_165331.jpg 20220507_165451.jpg

SAS289

Thanks. I did not try using the stock tank and assumed the Coleman tank was a better setup. I think the fuel cap is in the middle of the Predator tank which would end up under the top of the frame in a less convenient position.

toomanytoys

Very inconvenient! My Coleman tank started leaking so I had to use a power fist tank on my tillotson. Tillotson tank was an inch taller and would fit but you’d never get the cap off.

power fist cap is in the middle.

LIVIT

Thanks. I did not try using the stock tank and assumed the Coleman tank was a better setup. I think the fuel cap is in the middle of the Predator tank which would end up under the top of the frame in a less convenient position.
Dang, never thought about the cap position. Sure hope that's not an issue with my new Wildcat !

SAS289

Dang, never thought about the cap position. Sure hope that's not an issue with my new Wildcat !
From what the pictures show of the Wildcat the fill on the tank is in the middle. The Coleman tank is a direct bolt on.

The offset fill on the Coleman tank is the only nice thing about it. It appears to be low quality compared to the other two tanks I have.

SAS289

I'm not aware of any other better quality bolt on tank with the offset fill like the Coleman tank has. The other tanks I have work fine on my utility engines but will not work on my bikes.

LIVIT

Tks, surprised that the there is not more with the offset fill. More research to do again ! Might have to look at adapting a tank from a small motorcycle.

2old2care

I'm not aware of any other better quality bolt on tank with the offset fill like the Coleman tank has. The other tanks I have work fine on my utility engines but will not work on my bikes.
If you need a side fill tank with the straight studs (most of them for sale out there have the slanted ones), V Power Equipment has them.
I just got one for the Predator in my wife's Coleman CT200U - A perfect fit :

https://www.vpowerequipment.com/predator-212cc-gas-tank/

SAS289

If you need a side fill tank with the straight studs (most of them for sale out there have the slanted ones), V Power Equipment has them.
I just got one for the Predator in my wife's Coleman CT200U - A perfect fit :

https://www.vpowerequipment.com/predator-212cc-gas-tank/
"Most Predator 212cc engines use a unique straight down stud set up" This is not currently correct. Most Predator engines, Hemi, 224, and Ghost have a common clone block like every other newer engine available. That tank is for a non-hemi Predator 212 only.

At one point they may have used that block for some 196's. Probably from the factory that uses the same block as the non-hemi 212.

Last edited:

2old2care

That is correct, and I should have qualified my reply - sorry.
It took me a while to find a tank that was NOT for a hemi predator.

Did you have any issues with the cam decompression lever/weight hitting the crank? Building (2) 224 motors now, and am struggling with this.

SAS289

Update to post #1

Eventually got the header and mini 91. Bored stock carb. 38 main and .018" pilot jet. PVL flywheel timed to 32 BTDC.

Nice power. Getting as high as 4600 RPM at the belt shift. Topped out on the road at 5550 RPM. A bit too much power for my gearing.