2hp enough?

Hi, What you guys think about a 2hp B&S for a Lil Indian? Will it be enough power to pull a 5 year old through a grassy field. I found a guy with a NOS motor for a fair price. Thanks, Nate

Nate, Because it's for a five year old I'm sure you will want to keep the speed relatively slow. That works out great because in order to keep the speed slow you'll want to use a lower gear ratio. That will keep the speed down and at the same time decrease the amount of horsepower needed to pull the minibike. Two horsepower should work out just fine. Ogy

Thanks for your input guys. The 2hp will most likely keep the bigger kids from riding it also :shrug: The seller and I are playing phone tag now :hammer: Nate

Good thinking Nate ...I'm like you and would rather have a US engine like a Briggs or a Tec engine..but Harbor Freight does sell the little 97cc engine for about $90.00, thats just something to think about.

Good thinking Nate ...I'm like you and would rather have a US engine like a Briggs or a Tec engine..but Harbor Freight does sell the little 97cc engine for about $90.00, thats just something to think about.
The mini came with a non running B&S 5hp but I feel its to big. I'll be starting a build thread when I get a chance.

I MADE my first mini-bike back in 1966 in my junior high school (metal) shop class. (You other old timers- remember "shop" classes?):thumbsup: My dad donated the powerplant which was an old (and tired) early 1950's 2 HP Briggs and Stratton off of an old lawn mower. I was 5' 10" and about 180 lbs at the time. I installed a jackshaft and geared it way down to probably around 9:1 and it actually pulled me around pretty good.
Michael
Sidebar: One of the saddest things I've seen in education here in So Cal is that they took all of the shop classes away decades ago.:thumbdown:

:thumbsup: I had an original 2.5 HP Briggs on a Cat 250, I weigh 240, and that sucker pulled me pretty good. Top speed maybe 22 or so, but definitely enough for a five year old.

6" wheels, 72t rear sprocket.
Well its going on a LIl Indian with 4" wheels (10" Dia. tires), I'll have to see what rear sprocket it came with. So I guess get a clutch with 10t? I think anything close to 20 MPH will be fine for the little ones.

My niece and nephew have a K&S Hornet I put together for them with a 2hp briggs and it ran fine with them on it. Three years later they may be getting too big but they are 10 and 12 now so a 3hp will be next and I have a few so they will be taken care of. Also I have ridden the bike on flat ground and it carried me fairly well.

My niece and nephew have a K&S Hornet I put together for them with a 2hp briggs and it ran fine with them on it. Three years later they may be getting too big but they are 10 and 12 now so a 3hp will be next and I have a few so they will be taken care of. Also I have ridden the bike on flat ground and it carried me fairly well.
Can you post a pic ?