3.5hp briggs i/c wont start

hey guys been trying to get this engine started for the past few weeks with some few hours to spare on it. model #82232 type#0386-01 when i bought it the guy told me there was no spark took his word so i went ahead and bought a new magneto put it in and that didnt do any difference,had spark but no go ! i pulled my arm till i couldnt no more! the carb is getting gas but not to the spark plug.. so my next thing was to make sure the intake valve wasnt stuck... i took carb/tank off took valve cover off and spun the flywheel to make sure the valve was work which it had been. then i check the diaphram and when i took the cover off a little bit of gas came out i cleaned it up sprayed carb and chock cleaner in there wiped down the gasket put it back together and nothing..... dont understand why this isnt working? am i doing somthing wrong or is it something i;m not seeing corectly? made sure the mixure screw was 1 1/2 turns out. thanks advance for the help!

ok i thought about doing that just wanted to swap it with another one i had but still didnt work so will buy a new one u think thats the problem?

Take the tank/carb off, set aside, and spray some starting fluid directly into the block intake manifold. If it fires you know that you positively have carb issues that need correcting.
If it does NOT fire you have valve issues. If the valves are not seating/sealing properly it will never build up sufficient vacumn to "pull" the gasoline vapors into the carb, nor will it be able to compress the air and gasoline fumes enough to get an explosion (cylinder to fire) when the spark plug fires.
Michael

Hey guys ! Finally got some time last week to mess with this engine, took the carb off and sprayed some carb and choke cleaner into the manifold and it did fire! I took the carb off the gas tank cleaned very good with carb and choke cleaner and with air compressor wire brush. I need up buying a new diaphragm gasket to make sure. Still nothing...... Gas is being sucked into the carb but not lighting?? Really stumped..... Aren't this fixed jets on these carbs. Wondering if the jet is plugged? I even cleaned the mixture screw and hole. Anyone have any ideas? Would be appreciated. Thanks

Need Help. I am finding this site very difficult to negotiate. I do not know where or how to ask a question. Apparently I do not have enough post to qualify? I need to know if anyone can tell me what Jackshaft I should purchase for my vintage Bonanza bc100? I have searched out e-bay and contacted many companies that sell lots of jack shafts but know one is knowledgeable as to exactly which one properly fits. There is one on e-bay that specifically quotes my Bonanza's fitment, however it is only the jack shaft, no bearings or gears. That same company offers a assembly that is a little longer by about 1/2" but comes with bearings and gears. The distance between my mounting plates ID is 8-1/4". The hole for the bearings are 1-3/8"
My apologize if I am not posting in the correct area. I am new to this site and restoring a older (no swing arm or front shock) Bonanza.
Help.

Hey guys ! Finally got some time last week to mess with this engine, took the carb off and sprayed some carb and choke cleaner into the manifold and it did fire! I took the carb off the gas tank cleaned very good with carb and choke cleaner and with air compressor wire brush. I need up buying a new diaphragm gasket to make sure. Still nothing...... Gas is being sucked into the carb but not lighting?? Really stumped..... Aren't this fixed jets on these carbs. Wondering if the jet is plugged? I even cleaned the mixture screw and hole. Anyone have any ideas? Would be appreciated. Thanks
How old is the gas? When you had the carb off, did you dump out the gas and blow out the tank then put brand new gas in? Maybe you have some water or sediment in your gas tank and so the gas just isn't burning.

Also, is your spring in the diaphragm right? I bought an actual B&S kit for my carb and it came with the diaphragm and new spring/cap. When I was putting it back I noticed the spring didn't even come out far enough to touch the rubber. So I put it aside and just used the old spring. I know it should protrude a little from the carb body, the new one wasn't close. Might check that as well.

Txaggie it's new gas and I cleaned out tank clean carb was also cleaned air compressed all over and in every hole. The kill switch wire isn't touching anything I made sure of that. I'm really thinking the jet is plugged cause thats the only thing i didnt take apart or know how cause it looks fixed? I will check the spring again on the diaphragm.

Replace diaphragm and clean needle/seat, make sure that the needle isnt messed up "meaning someone screwed it in to far" if so u can get away with using some 120 grit emery cloth on da sucker. Then, screw needle in all the way, back out 2 1/2 turns. In a earlier post u said u replaced the mag? Is this a elec one? This motor have points? or not?

Hey buddy !!!:drinkup:

So it looks like your engine has an Air-Vane type governor. Those can play games with you if not setup correctly. Your carburetor has a fixed main jet which is part of the carburetor submerged in the gas tank. Sometimes those engines have kill switches under the gas tank that shut off the engine when the throttle is set to low idle.

Good luck !!!

Hey hey! Yes has a air vane gov.there is a linkage hooked up to it front the carb. This model didn't have a kill switch under gas tank it's located on the linkage of the carb.