3 hp crank case gasket replacement issue

Hey all. I have an older 80202 briggs engine. It was leaking oil from the bottom of the crank case gasket below the output shaft. I tore the bike down and had the motor on the bench. I removed the crank case cover, and scraped off all the old gasket, and put the new one on, and replaced the cover...when I tighten down the cover the engine is almost locked up, I cannot pull the starter cord, or turn the output shaft. I removed the cover and re-checked everything and all seemed normal. I put it back together and same thing. So I started to loosen the bolts and it finally was able to turn over. Could the replacement gasket be too thin? Seems odd that tightening up the bolts causes some sort of bind. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Richard is 100% correct (no surprise). The "standard" gasket for your engine is Briggs part # 270833 which is .015" thick. I would recommend using only genuine Briggs for this application, not aftermarket. They make thinner gaskets as well. Which gasket did you use?
Michael