$30 Junkyard Mini Bike Build!

Hello all, its been atleast 2 years since i've been back! I sold my old scrap hauler cheeftah mini bike and recently got back into mini bikes. I salvaged a rolling chassis out of a junkyard for 30 bucks! I have no idea the make or model, but its in good shape! While back in the fall, I garbage picked a nice old gas edger. motor needed the carb cleaned, now it runs good! Later this evening I mounted it to the frame.. now i need to shop for a clutch and chain.

I need some help identifying the frame model and size chain/clutch I need.. will keep posing pictures!

Attachments

Last edited:

markus

the bike was a Sears, here is a shot from the 1976 catalog showing it:

your front wheel something that a company called power-dyne used (PDV) they used them on their mini bike line.

The engine is a sears as well so you at least kept it in the family :laugh: Their driveway must have looked like shit with grass overgrown over it, cause that engine is clean for as old as it is. Looks like it probably a 1970. Dunno the shaft size, hopefully its not stepped like many of the edgers were. You'll just have to to measure it and see 5/8" and 3/4" are the typical sizes you want to hope to have. It may not be tapped for a bolt at the end either, Problem there is alot of the newer clutches do not have setscrew options anymore so you may have to do that to secure a new inexpensive clutch to it.

Last edited:
Nice find. What kind of junk yards do they have where you are. I never find anything but junk in mine. Gonna watch this one come back to life.

I have that exact bike, it is very short, and if you are over 5'0 tall it is hard to ride without hitting your knees on the handle bars. I stretched mine and put a predator motor on it. Ditched the scrub brake and put a disc on the rear. Its a fun ride but I'm currently looking for a bike with shocks.

Last edited:
anyone happen to know the chain size for this bike? and should I install a bigger motor to move me around? (200lb)
#35 chain , that engine will push you around on flat ground , it's a small bike so a big engine boils down to preference and how fast or quick do you need to go ?

anyone happen to know the chain size for this bike? and should I install a bigger motor to move me around? (200lb)
I would throw a clutch and chain on it, and see what you think with your current motor. That bike is so small when you get much power it gets kind of scary, like riding a unicycle with too much power, and the scrub brake isn't that great. I rode mine around with the original B&S engine for a while, it wasn't bad, but like all I had to go faster.

Last edited:
I add jackshaft to my 97cc db30 ..I wanted power to come on slow..I could of bought a predator 212..same money,but I wanted a bike to blast around my lawn..not to do wheelies or top speed..it has approx. 8.5 to 1 gearing ..top speed 15 to 20 mph....nice find you got there...if on flat ground that motor may do..or maybe find a used 4 or 5 HP for it .good luck

thanks for all the ideas! I figured I might as well use a bigger motor if I'm investing in a chain and clutch. I was thinking of using a good running 6.5 briggs engine off of a power washer I found at the same junkyard for 10 bucks. I assume I'd need a jackshaft to alighn it with the engine?

you really not need a jackshaft to align if you invert the clutch,giving you more room to move engine more center...jackshafts are good to change gear ratios using different gears on it..that is a real small bike tho..it will be insane with a 6.5 hp..don't forget putting wheelie bars..

So i've decided to stick with the classic look of this mini bike and keeping the small 3.5 tecumseh motor. Ordered a clutch and chain from OldMiniBikes ebay and should be in by tomorrow. Until then, i got onto new paint. Carolina Tarheel blue w/ white engine block and covers. Coming out good!

I have a KOL with a 3.5 Tec on it with just a clutch and moves my 180lb butt around just fine :thumbsup: I built it for my wife and she wont ride it so I use it for a pit bike at the track to get to the port-o-let :laugh:

well, project is delayed. whoever said this was 35 chain was wrong. now I have to ship back the clutch and chain. does someone know the actual size chain I need? also, I need to order a twist throttle, can someone provide a link for a cheap set that would fit this bike?

Hmmmm..I found a pic in .. search of chain and sprocket sizes .. can not post photo ..but image shows measure sprocket teeth tip to tip for pitch ..1/4" is #25 .. 3/8" is #35 ..1/2" is 40..41. hope this helps you

Last edited:
SteelheadBen,
What did you end up with for a clutch and chain?
How well does the 3.5hp move you around?
Any pics of the completed bike?

Danford1