3hp 80212 build..... preffered PTO crankseal?

markus

Now that the shippers have all come and got a bunch of mini bike and engine stuff out of here so I have some room.....and I am feeling better health wise, I started to work on these Briggs 3hp I started on awhile back. First one I am doing is in the 80212 flavor as seen on Lil indian, some Taco's, etc.. I am assembling from pieces not complete engines so part numbers can be a bit of a challenge this way.

IMG_1765.JPG

This engine got reconditioned cylinder, exhaust valve guide insert, 3 angle valve seat cut on both seats, new valves, ports smoothed of casting flaws, fitted rings, surfaces all trued, crankshaft drilled and tapped to keep up with the times since clutches are with set screws are dying off, and all the other basic stuff a rebuild gets.

I am trying to figure out what the current (or better) PTO side crank seal for these is though? The sidecovers in the version that are here all have the reducer rings with a Mag side seal but there is also this one piece seal that fits the bill as well. Wondering which one to install. Any thoughts for which style would be preferred, of if you have done one in recent times, what seal did your briggs numbers point you toward?

IMG_1767.JPG

markus

@markus what does a rebuilt engine go for now a days?
varies from engine to engine, No clue right now on what the tally of parts will be in the end for these briggs.

I did some searching this morning, I spotted the old style in some old stock which came with the ring and seal but the seal is a little different than some of other orginals that I pulled off some covers. I did find one of those on the cover am using for the #2 engine below, I have to say it was not impressive and the later superseded one piece rubber one seems like it would be the best bet to use, so I ordered another for the 2nd engine and just going to go with those. 3rd engine I am building is the ball bearing version so that's yet another size seal. I am going to hold off on that engine for the time being and just focus on getting these two 80212's father along since that one is gonna be a slightly custom build.

Heres engine #2 same build specs and machine work done as the the first, 'cept this one will be a 3/4" PTO. I got everything fitted/cut that had to be last night and ran through the parts washer last night, today all the parts will get the final hot soapy bath so I can put the clean shortblock together, then I I get to start on carbs..... IMG_1772.JPG

Oldyellow

Hi Markus. Sorry to bother you but ... I have a Lil Indian frame with 4 inch mags. The motor plate has a hole in it and the serial number is 38723. Could you tell me what year this little bike could be?
Thanks for your time
Rick

markus

Hi Markus. Sorry to bother you but ... I have a Lil Indian frame with 4 inch mags. The motor plate has a hole in it and the serial number is 38723. Could you tell me what year this little bike could be?
Thanks for your time
Rick
should be a 1970.