40 series torque converter on a tav2 mounting plate????????

I have a 212 with around 15hp and im going to run a 40 series torque converter setup but... They dont come with a mounting plate, they run by jackshaft. Would it be possible to mount 40 series on a tav2 plate or is there a reason the dont come with one?

Or..
Could i modify a tav2 to hold up against 15hp? (stiffer drive and driven springs, and stronger belt)

it's going a a db30 frame so space is limited for jackshaft.

yeah i kind of figured it wouldnt work. ordered a tav2. gonna upgrade drive and driven springs. do you know if they make a heavy duty belt or are they all pretty much the same?

2SlickNick

Well if the 40 series is a 7" driven you could make your own mount( providing you can weld). I made one ...http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/doodlebug-minibikes/106894-doodle-devil-7-driven-2.html

Briggs 6hp with clone torque converter ( 7" driven ) on custom jackshaft. - YouTube
I made that with a bearing tube set in angled steel, on a rectangle 1/4" steel tube.

I think they might make a Kevlar belt... But you might run the risk of it being so HD that it starts to actually make grooves into your driver unit.
I do know that 30 series should be able to handle up to 10hp...

Not sure if you have ever seen a 40 series but they are huge , the two together probably weigh 15 pounds . Also it's not necessarily the HP of the motor but the RPM's of it . A 40 on a big block the spins 9,000 will probably not work or on a small block either .
I would try the TAV2 and find the stiffest springs I could find to put in it and go from there .

Yeah im sure my setup wont see 9,000rpm. Probably more like +7,500 close to 8,000. Im gonna get get stiffer springs all around

Last edited:
You can run a 30 series.
Its going to eat a lot of belts.

Trouble is with these cheap clutches they throw the belt out of the groove and slip at high RPM.
They get hot and slip too.
They eat belts as well.

DON'T use a PIX belt they are too soft..

Clean often and when you see wear glazing and groves on your primary take it off and stone it with a large sharpening stone to roughen the surfaces.

Use plenty of clutch lube.

I notice some of the primaries have a lot of slop in them.
I tin up the moving sheave with some 60/40 solder and hand scrape them to make a tight fit on the driver bushing.
I also make an extra long bronze bushing to take up the load as the primary opens and closes ( this prevent the slop from smashing up the driver under heavy loads ).

Heavier spring on the secondary is a good idea, adding a second helper spring might help too.
Heavier spring on the primary to raise the engage speed and trim to fit so there is no slack ( this trick will cause more belt wear at low speed however.

Everything you do to improve the TAV will cause more wear in belts and bushing.
The only way to avoid this is a light touch when you ride.

I think I am the first to run a 7 inch secondary.
You used to be able to buy a kit from BMI for the yerf dog go-kart.
Still a few floating around...
Jackshaft Plate Hub Bearings for Go Kart Mini Bike Yerf Dog Free SHIP | eBay
This is also a handy part to tune your clutch.
9T 40 41 Sprocket Gear for 20 30 Series Comet Torque Converter Driven TAV2 USA | eBay

You want this.
Comet Yellow Spring for 30 Series Driven | Go Kart Parts | Racing Karts | Engines | Frames | Tires | Tips | Kits | Torque
And the white primary springs if you can find them ( use 1 one or both to replace the stock ones if you prefer )

Last edited:
Ya I should read more post less....

Here is the list of primary springs.

Replacement Springs for 20 & 30 Series Driver | Go Kart Parts | Racing Karts | Engines | Frames | Tires | Tips | Kits | Torque

You can play with the different weights, but I don;t know if they will help at high rpm I honestly never tried them.
I was always looking for more pressure not less to keep the belt under tension.

This will fit under your engine but you may need to make a special angle mount like I did to protect the secondary from road damage.
Clutch Mount with Jackshaft | Go Kart Parts | Racing Karts | Engines | Frames | Tires | Tips | Kits | Torque
You need the 91 belt with the 7 inch system.

Last edited:
That's true.

They won't break with more power, but they wear out parts fasters and eat up the belts.

most of the time when you drive you will not exceed the power rating.