5.5 hp Honda clone

I have a 5.5 hp Honda clone engine on my mini bike. In new to the modifying of small engines but i really want to make a fast drag bike. Should I work on this engine or just buy like a more powerfull tucemseh star or something to work on. :confused:

In the long run it would be much more cheaper to buy a more powerful motor, and it would be more reliable as well, and because you said your new to the modifying side of things then you should probably stick to buying a bigger motor. Look into motorcycle engines, they have inbuilt gearboxes and they can be fairly cheap on eBay.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The best trouble free powerful small engine so far I have had my hands on is the briggs world formula. The Tecumseh Star, and Blockzilla are very hard to start up by hand. They both require the proper maintenance to run correctly, and both are normally made to run on alcohol.

The briggs WF comes box stock at 13hp on gas with the rev limiter on it. Just take the rev limiter off and you get 2 more HP. Remember 15hp is a lot on a minibike. That normally will make a 200 lb rider run 70mph with the correct gearing.

MBD what engine doesn't require maintenance to run properly? You got some secret brands out there in Calli that are maintenance free? lol

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
None are maintenance free. Some just require less then others.

To have a motor make 15hp, plus turn 8,000 RPM and can run a lot of hours doing this is great.

The briggs WF is a factory made TAG motor. Which means "Touch-And-Go". It's a sealed motor that's not supposed to be modified. And they even come with a electric start, and pull starter.

The Blockzilla, and Star started off as jr.dragster motors. Then later became kart motors. Drag motors usually require more maintenance then kart motors. Drag motors are normally more built on the edge.

None are maintenance free. Some just require less then others.

To have a motor make 15hp, plus turn 8,000 RPM and can run a lot of hours doing this is great.

The briggs WF is a factory made TAG motor. Which means "Touch-And-Go". It's a sealed motor that's not supposed to be modified. And they even come with a electric start, and pull starter.

The Blockzilla, and Star started off as jr.dragster motors. Then later became kart motors. Drag motors usually require more maintenance then kart motors. Drag motors are normally more built on the edge.
MDB, which motor would compare in HP numbers to the Briggs WF without modification done to it in stock trim?

Also after removing the rev limiter on the WF you mentioned a 2HP gain, upgrading the stock carb to Alky, how much more would you gain by doing this?

Also what gearing/clutch was your 200lb budde running when he hit 70mph with his WF?

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The Yamaha F200 is pretty close, but makes more then a briggs WF. A limited flathead makes about the same as a Briggs WF. Also slightly modified 305 briggs with the stock cam is also close too.

Most run between 3.25-3.6 gearing depending on the rear tire height with a 200 lb jockey.

Changing over to alky needs more mods to be perfect. Just from the swap alone you will gain about 1hp. But if you mill your head for more compression and bump the timing up 3-4 degrees you will gain approx 2-3hp.

The Yamaha F200 is pretty close, but makes more then a briggs WF. A limited flathead makes about the same as a Briggs WF. Also slightly modified 305 briggs with the stock cam is also close too.

Most run between 3.25-3.6 gearing depending on the rear tire height with a 200 lb jockey.

Changing over to alky needs more mods to be perfect. Just from the swap alone you will gain about 1hp. But if you mill your head for more compression and bump the timing up 3-4 degrees you will gain approx 2-3hp.
So then whats the cheapest route to pump out 20HP and the most torque, the WF, the F200, the Limited Mod Raptor, or the 305? Also which would be most reliable?

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
A 250+cc snowmobile engine. Pull start and fits right into a minibike frame with no problems. Most of them come with a 3/4" shaft just like a regular minibike engine.

I just missed one on ebay, because I was at the figure 8 race and forgot all about it.