5 horse Briggs questions

Hi, I'm a noob to this single cylinder scene. I just recently purchased a home built mini chopper to use as a pit bike for when I go to the drag strip. I classify it as a mini chopper, but it is a little over 7 feet long. It has a fairly new 5 horse Briggs on it. The model number is 135202 and the type is 0015 01. I was just wondering if there are any performance mods that I can do to this engine to give it a little more zip ( got to be able to beat some golf carts at the track )? It has an older style carb on it right now, but I am looking at replacing it with one that is factory for the engine ( unless I can find a performance one that would work on it ). Any tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jared

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
A aftermarket pipe, and carb should wake your little sleeper up a little. You can find parts at a good price from Turk Bros. www.tbrwins.com

Just make sure you don't blow the rod out of the block.

BTW welcome to the OldMiniBikes forums.

Thanks for the reply, I will be sure to check them out. Here are some pics of the mini chopper that I got from the guy I bought it off of.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Ya you are pretty stretched out when you ride, but that was the type of bike I was looking for. The guy that built the bike was only 16 at the time and built the frame and tank by hand. I have some minor changes I want to make ( paint and what not ) but the basic style will stay the same. Prolly ride it around the rest of the year and then try to sell it. If I get it sold great, if I dont I will just ride it around more.

A aftermarket pipe, and carb should wake your little sleeper up a little. You can find parts at a good price from Turk Bros. www.tbrwins.com

Just make sure you don't blow the rod out of the block.

BTW welcome to the OldMiniBikes forums.
Have you seen this happen often? I have put a dry 100hp nitrous shot on a 5hp and the rod did not leave its home!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Actually, one of our friends cut the lawn with it the next day and he said it ran like a champ! It had to, because our lawn looked like the amazon jungle! It seemed to run fine for several months after that too.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

I was just wondering if there are any performance mods that I can do to this engine to give it a little more zip ( got to be able to beat some golf carts at the track )?
Anything you can think of can be done to that engine. Aftermarket rods, pistons, cams, cranks, flywheels, valves, heads, you name it. It was and still is a poplar engine for many kart and jr drag racers.

Last edited: