5 HP gas tank too big for frame, is smaller size available?

Harquebus

Unknown about smaller tanks for the 5 HP/13 c.i.

There are smaller tanks for the smaller displacement flatheads, but those engines are scaled down too
so you may need to fashion an adapter to raise the tank as high as it needs to be.

The Briggs experts may know. Otherwise, you appear to have some room vertically. How about some
spacers under the engine?

I have a Baja frame that I stuffed a Briggs 5 hp in. I used an adapter plate that I picked up from one of the advertisers might have m been OldMiniBikes warehouse. Works well, however makes the sparkplug a little tight getting to. . I wouldn't go with a smaller fuel cell if you want longevity while riding..

CarPlayLB

You can use a shorter tank from a 3HP Briggs if you cut down the inlet tube on the bottom of the carb. You will also need to run a strap from the block base to the higher 3HP bolt location under the tank....nothing I haven't done before!

markus

We were discussing this in another thread at the same time the OP posted this here, people will probably run across this thread if they run into this problem in the future. I had posted some photos of the tank difference so you dont end up with 5hp sized tank that may be helpful. ......
From this thread (kinda went off the rails since it was alot about the Fox bike hes building as well: Shorter gas tank needed for 5HP Briggs.

From the thread:
Keep in mind that they did offer an XL sized (same as the 4-5hp) with the shorter 3hp brackets.....you dont want to end up with one of those as you'll get the same size tank that you have currently!

next to each other you can really see the difference but on its own it can be kinda hard to tell....The smaller tank the cap/fill is right at the rear corner, the bigger one is in off the back edge about an inch in the era style tank you are looking for at least.

Hideous spraybombed one is the 3hp Larger size, OG paint is the standard 3hp size. (you will also need the shorter pickup tube installed on your carb if you just buy a tank for the smaller one)

View attachment 248489

Note the shorter bracket assembly on the bottom compared to a standard 4-5hp (3hp wont have the throttle bellcrank parts on it or the U shape at the mounting ear)
View attachment 248489 View attachment 248490 View attachment 248491 [/QUOTE