5hp briggs choke

Hi all. I have 5hp briggs. When I pull to start it the choke lever slides open and won't start. Will run fine when primed but won't start cold. Clean and rbt carb 2x. No go. Bought new cheapo carb on Amazon same thing. It's like the choke lever is being sucked open. Any clue? Tks in advance. Yes all new gaskets too.

this is the carb. see pic below. when i pull the rope to start the choke rod slides towards the motor. I pull it out, pull the rope and it slides in. its wont start at all but i put some gas into carb it runs great. this is the amazon carb on the motor now. I reb the old carb new dia, gaskets, tanked, air comp, jet, etc. does the same thing. I am perplexed. Bill

Attachments

Are you saying that the choke will not stay in position (either closed or open)? It just slides back and forth very easily with no resistance whatsoever?. It SHOULD get tighter (and stay) in either the closed or open position...
Michael

The original one that I rebt 2x slides pretty easily. I talked to my parts guy and he said the rivets wear out so I went and bought the cheapo on amazon and that one slides easily too. Its like it gets sucked in when I pull the rope. As far as I know I should pull the lever out all the way towards me as I try to start and then as it warms up I push the lever in slowly. It goes in by itself as soon as I pull the rope. I read online somewhere in my search that it might be sucking air and that is why it gets pulled in? I don't know. I suppose I can send the cheap one back and get another but it might do the same thing.

I checked the head gasket and it looks to be in good shape. The valves look ok and I checked the breather as well. Maybe I just got a couple of bad carbs UNLESS THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO GET SUCKED IN LIKE IT IS DOING?

For a "cold" start the choke knob must be pulled out (choke on) and STAY out. You are correct, once it fires and runs you SLOWLY push it in (about 1/2 way) then let it run for another 5-10 seconds. Then push it all the way in (choke off) and it must STAY in to run properly. If yours flops in and out easily w/o any resistance you are going to need to correct that. (Carefully) grind off the rivet head from below (a Dremel tool works well) and either: 1) install a Pop rivet of the appropriate size, or 2) install a small 8-32 bolt with a matching nylock nut (nut goes on the bottom) and tighten appropriately. There are some on this forum that perform the former method, I prefer the latter as I could never get the pop rivet at the right tightness for the choke to work correctly. I am sure you will get other members to reply with their suggestions- be patient.
Michael

For a "cold" start the choke knob must be pulled out (choke on) and STAY out. You are correct, once it fires and runs you SLOWLY push it in (about 1/2 way) then let it run for another 5-10 seconds. Then push it all the way in (choke off) and it must STAY in to run properly. If yours flops in and out easily w/o any resistance you are going to need to correct that. (Carefully) grind off the rivet head from below (a Dremel tool works well) and either: 1) install a Pop rivet of the appropriate size, or 2) install a small 8-32 bolt with a matching nylock nut (nut goes on the bottom) and tighten appropriately. There are some on this forum that perform the former method, I prefer the latter as I could never get the pop rivet at the right tightness for the choke to work correctly. I am sure you will get other members to reply with their suggestions- be patient.
Michael

also, I went through some reviews on the cheap ones on amazon like the one i bought. A lot of guys said the choke is very loose to start with. live and learn.

Rather than drill it out I would (very carefully) GRIND off the head of the rivet using a Dremel tool with tiny grinding stone, then punch out the rivet shaft. (DO NOT enlarge the hole in the carb body while doing this!) What happened to the other (shorter) fuel pick up tube that should be installed in the bottom of the carb? Have you been trying to run it like this?
Michael

No no I have the shorter pick up tube. I didnt; try to run it without one. The aftermarket carb was about 30 bucks and came with a little ring of carb tip cleaners. Looked like a decent deal but a big waste of time.Its so light it wouldn't make a good paper weight. Ill borrow my buddies dremel this weekend and get to work on it. Ya know from the second I unwrapped the carb and saw the choke slide I thought I don't think its supposed to move back and forth so easily. So to sum up I rebuilt one with a weak sliding choke that didn't work so to correct I bought a new one with a weak sliding choke. ugg.

Couple LIGHT TAPS on the end of the river with the other end supported should tighten up that rivet enough to keep the choke in the position you set it to.
Remove carb from tank, set round end on hard surface like large hammer, use drift and small hammer to lightly tap other end of rivet to tighten it up enough to keep the choke in the set place. Don’t hit hard and keep an eye on what your doing!