5hp Piston ring question

I’m looking for std rings for my 130202 5hp. Is 299742 the correct part# rings for it. Bore Diameter measures between 2.5615 and 2.5625. It’s an aluminum bore so I need chrome rings

I’m looking for std rings for my 130202 5hp. Is 299742 the correct part# rings for it. Bore Diameter measures between 2.5615 and 2.5625. It’s an aluminum bore so I need chrome rings
Need some clarification please...
Why are you installing new rings?
The measurements you provided are Briggs specs for a NEW engine. You need to take accurate measurements of YOUR 5 HP bore at the top, middle, and bottom areas. .003" of wear is the "reject" size that requires reboring the cylinder and installing an oversize piston/ring set. As an alternative, for bores worn more than .003" up to .005" you can install "chrome" rings w/o having to rebore the cylinder. It is kind of a "bandaid" treatment, but it will give you some more use out of the engine, increases compression, and reduce oil consumption. Just be aware that"Chrome" rings will NOT help whatsoever on a cylinder wall that is badly scored- you will have to rebore.
Michael

Need some clarification please...
Why are you installing new rings?
The measurements you provided are Briggs specs for a NEW engine. You need to take accurate measurements of YOUR 5 HP bore at the top, middle, and bottom areas. .003" of wear is the "reject" size that requires reboring the cylinder and installing an oversize piston/ring set. As an alternative, for bores worn more than .003" up to .005" you can install "chrome" rings w/o having to rebore the cylinder. It is kind of a "bandaid" treatment, but it will give you some more use out of the engine, increases compression, and reduce oil consumption. Just be aware that"Chrome" rings will NOT help whatsoever on a cylinder wall that is badly scored- you will have to rebore.
Michael
Here's the deal, I'm going from the fact that the current ring's ring gap is over .050 and cylinder bore measurements ive taken are 2.4625. Figure its time for new rings, so I ordered a set of NOS 299742 chrome rings off a guy on ebay. Only when I get them, they are huge compared to the ones I have...like wont come close to fitting in the cylinder with out some major grinding of the ends. They even fit over a .020 piston without even having to expand them. So I tell the guy he sent me the wrong rings, that the box may say 299742 but the contents are something else. Well...he insists he sent me the right ones. So..here we are. Do I have the wrong ring part# for a std bore 130202? Or is this guy just obtuse?

The "reject" measurement for ring gap is .035", HOWEVER...
That is done with a brand NEW standard bore ring, not the OLD (and worn) one you have. While the .050" you measure is well out of specs, using the OLD/WORN ring will not tell you if it is just ring wear, bore wear, or BOTH. If indeed that is a 5HP Briggs engine you have, there is NO WAY the bore would measure (only) 2.4625", which is SMALLER than original/new! Either that is a typo you posted or you are not measuring accurately with precision instruments. As far as the part # you provided- Yes, that is the correct # for 5 HP chrome rings. Evidently, some "other" rings were misplaced in that package at some time. Basically, you got screwed. (Been there, and had that done to myself on a few occasions).
Michael

The "reject" measurement for ring gap is .035", HOWEVER...
That is done with a brand NEW standard bore ring, not the OLD (and worn) one you have. While the .050" you measure is well out of specs, using the OLD/WORN ring will not tell you if it is just ring wear, bore wear, or BOTH. If indeed that is a 5HP Briggs engine you have, there is NO WAY the bore would measure (only) 2.4625", which is SMALLER than original/new! Either that is a typo you posted or you are not measuring accurately with precision instruments. As far as the part # you provided- Yes, that is the correct # for 5 HP chrome rings. Evidently, some "other" rings were misplaced in that package at some time. Basically, you got screwed. (Been there, and had that done to myself on a few occasions).
Michael
Sorry man...I meant to say the bore measures 2.5625. That sucks...the guy has another 299742 set of rings for sale on eBay and I showed him pics of how much bigger the rings were that he sent me. Hes one of these guys that buys boxes of Briggs NOS stuff and just sells them on ebay. He cant comprehend that maybe the guy he bought the stuff from didnt give a crap what he put in what boxes. He said I could return them...on my dime for a refund...great spend 7 bucks to get 15 bucks back. Well beware of "togahert-0" on ebay if you're buying Briggs stuff. What a db.

If indeed your bore does measure out at 2.5625 that indicates ZERO bore wear, which is quite unusual, (but not unheard of) for an older engine. What is year of manufacture? (You did measure it high, low, and middle, correct?) Also make SURE and measure it in the direction of piston "THRUST" (front to rear) in addition to side to side as the former always will have more wear due to the action/movement of the piston.

Took some additional measurements Front to back: Top 2.5630 Mid: 2.5630 Bot: 2.5625 Granted this is using a Telescoping gauge and digital caliper...but several measurements came up with the same readings.
If indeed your bore does measure out at 2.5625 that indicates ZERO bore wear, which is quite unusual, (but not unheard of) for an older engine. What is year of manufacture? (You did measure it high, low, and middle, correct?) Also make SURE and measure it in the direction of piston "THRUST" (front to rear) in addition to side to side as the former always will have more wear due to the action/movement of the piston.
Took some measurements again front to back: Top 2.5630, Mid 2.5630 Bot 2.5625 Granted this is using a Telescoping gauge and Digital Caliper...but several measurements came up the same.