60's 3hp briggs help please

This motor came on a ruttman spyder I bought and was pretty rough. I decided to try and bring it back to life only because I'm addicted to mini bikes now. Thanks guys!!! Lol. Anyway it's all apart and now I'm wondering can I even get parts. I was thinking of just getting new rings and a gasket kit and I would like to switch the coil to the newer electronic ignition. So my question is can I get parts for this motor still any help I'd appreciate it. Thanks to all you guys. 20150328_224802.jpg and if anyone could tell me the exact year would be great too. I was going to put this on a washer frame I have. I think it would look cool. I like the copper color of the motor. It's to beat up to save but I'm going to repaint it the same color or as close as I can get.

Lol. Thats funny. Ur bike is why I bought the washer frame a while bike. I really like it. Then I happened to get the motor on a spyder. Only my gas tank is on the other side. I need parts. Lol what did you do in restoring ur motor? Or did it run and you repainted. Can I use any newer style briggs coil on my motor. The wires for my points were broke and id just rather swap it for the electronic one

And can I do a lite hone on the cylinder without having to go to a bigger piston? I have built new clone motors but ive never redone a motor let alone a flat head.

My engine was a runner, but I did Install new points and condenser and painted. Not sure about the newer coil...but I think It will work. Good Luck on that Washer, I really like mine. Its a keeper for sure .:wink:

Its allready down to bare block. It did have good compression and there was no slop in the piston like side to side or rocking nothing like that. The gas tank has a bunch of rust in it. Yea ive read everywhere you can just switch the coil to the magnatron coil and just leave the points and condencer there. And that carb scares me. Not somthing im used to. Way before my time. Im almost wanting to get a small mikuni for it because I look at that carb and its overwhelming. Lol

7 2 ? For what ever reason I thought it was 60's. Well that kinda sucks but oh well. I wanted it to be close in year to the washer frame. I know it never came with a briggs anyway but I like them better then tecumseh. No reason behind that. Lol

Yep, 1972 motor. Parts like gaskets and seals are really cheap for these motors and they are everywhere. Most of the time I can just pull the flywheel, take the points out and slap a magnetron on no problem.

You can still get decals for these, which make the final outcome really nice! See OND's pic up above :thumbsup:

Your engine was made on Feb 11, 1972.

Good Luck :laugh:

markus

I'm building a 3hp I/C for someone right now and getting ready to make at least 2 out of these 4 I just bought :doah:

They are pretty simple, parts are plentiful and yes you can swap them to the magnetron in seconds. I like to pull all the points stuff off just to get it off there and then fill the hole for the little lifter shaft that rides on the crank. You can leave all that stuff in but I would not, at least get the little lifter out of the block and fill the hole in...if that was to disintegrate or fail in some way it could maybe run some crap through the bushing or seal and score up the crank etc..

I'm building a 3hp I/C for someone right now and getting ready to make at least 2 out of these 4 I just bought :doah:

They are pretty simple, parts are plentiful and yes you can swap them to the magnetron in seconds. I like to pull all the points stuff off just to get it off there and then fill the hole for the little lifter shaft that rides on the crank. You can leave all that stuff in but I would not, at least get the little lifter out of the block and fill the hole in...if that was to disintegrate or fail in some way it could maybe run some crap through the bushing or seal and score up the crank etc..
could you give me a part number for a coil. I'm not sure wich one to order. seems like there is several.

and my gas tank is one the opposite side. it's not under the carb.
So your carb comes down from the engine? I just brought 2 old mowers with those. Those carbs (for me) are hard to play with compared to a pulsa jet(pictured above). I have a few coils here but I do not want to ship them overseas :doah: You really don't want the wrong one because drilling the holes is hard. Maybe another member will chime in?

yea my carb is diff. wich one do I have? if it's opposite of yours? and can someone please give me a part number for a coil that will work on my motor. I really don't want to deal with the other b.s if I don't have to. and yes my manifold is L shaped and drops down to the carb, like the manifold comes out of the block a bit and drops strait down then carb is connected there.

Last edited: