67 Briggs Help

thumbnail_IMG_4577.jpg

Im new to this game and still trying to learn engines so here is my dumba** question. What is this "second crankshaft" coming out of my 130202 BnS?? from what ive found so far its for the reverse but how do I remove it or is there a way to utilize it on my bonanza?

Usually this is used on snowblowers for reverse gear. I have seen some people cut the shaft, personally I would get a single pto side cover, it will not come with that second hole in the cover and you can use regular camshaft.

If you cut it just remember that the shaft will still spin which could be dangerous

Harquebus

Also used on those nice garden tillers with reverse, like the Troy-Bilt Pony.

I agree with massacre on the get-a-single-pto sump cover and a standard cam gear idea. Check fleabay or wherever you like, they should be easy to find and for low cost.

For search terms, the nomenclature is:

Cover Assy-crankcase, part# 297602
Gear-cam, part# 212733

thank you for everyones input... I think im going to cut the shaft off, it seems like the easiest solution and im pretty sure the clutch I have will cover that area up so it shouldn't cause any issues.

thank you for everyones input... I think im going to cut the shaft off, it seems like the easiest solution and im pretty sure the clutch I have will cover that area up so it shouldn't cause any issues.
Yes, the clutch does cover it. Be aware that you need enough shaft exposed to allow the shaft seal to continue to work, and that if you generate too much heat while cutting it, you'll damage the seal too.

You could just leave it alone and see if it impedes the chain. I've had this same situation on a Cat mini bike, and the clutch and the chain cleared that shaft just fine. You could only see that shaft if you looked for it.

Yes, the clutch does cover it. Be aware that you need enough shaft exposed to allow the shaft seal to continue to work, and that if you generate too much heat while cutting it, you'll damage the seal too.

You could just leave it alone and see if it impedes the chain. I've had this same situation on a Cat mini bike, and the clutch and the chain cleared that shaft just fine. You could only see that shaft if you looked for it.
Thanks for your input Havasu Dave, the shaft is too long and I cant place the clutch on properly without cutting it off, but I will leave a good half inch or so on it so I don't damage the seal.