70’s Vintage Taiwan Frame Build-Up!

DaddyJohn

I got this frame for a price that was too good to pass up, but probably not cheap enough to make this build economical, lol… Here’s a link to the “What is it?” thread, complete with pics of the bare frame as procured: https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-this-frame.174972/

So far, I bought a wide 6” rear wheel, 9”x5/8” axle, and 12” seat from GPS (didn’t realize there was a narrow wheel available), a slotted Rotary brand 72T #35 sprocket and some mini ATV chain adjusters off eBay, and added an old ARCO front wheel and axle (fastened with MTD mower deck spindle nuts) I had lying around.

Building the rear wheel required knocking the included studs out, and fastening the sprocket with 5/16” carriage bolts facing inward. Bit of a pain putting the nuts on, but no biggie. A flanged bearing fit into the sprocket hole, I made an inner spacer with some pipe (had to run a 5/8” drill through it to clearance the ID a hair), and closed it off with a non-flanged bearing on the other side. More pipe for some wheel spacers, and that was sorted. Rubber is an old V-tread tire I had that had been plugged. I removed the plug and put a tube in it, because of the hole, and because the wheel was too wide for me to get it seated very easily.

Moving on to the engine, I came across a free Briggs 3.5hp off a pressure washer that fits perfectly. It takes a standard 3/4” clutch and has a threaded hole for a retaining bolt/washer. Only issue is I need to figure out how to attach the throttle cable. Going to start a thread in the Briggs engine forum with pics, but would love to have any suggestions on how to do it, or parts to buy. Here’s the thread I started seeking any info available:
https://oldminibikes.com/forum/inde...r-washer-to-mini-bike-throttle-set-up.175163/

Looking good so far though!

Attachments

Last edited:

DaddyJohn

Got the throttle figured out, and swapped the ARCO wheel for one I converted over from a riding mower front wheel.

Additionally, I welded on a kickstand and some seat supports, made a rear sproter brake bracket to mount a spare Chinese caliper I had laying around (had to weld a slotted stay bracket to the frame so it could slide back and forth with the axle), added some material to the headstock gussets so I could add a graphic, painted the frame (color was kind of determined by me not wanting to paint the engine), and did some other random stuff. Still needs the controls routed, add the chain, make a clutch cover, then get everything bolted tight and tested. Hopefully get to that soon…

Interestingly, it seems there are some hand-made parts on the bike. The front forks (the legs of which are solid bar), and the foot pegs and mounting bar (also made from solid) are prime candidates. Makes it a bit heavier than you’d expect! :D

Attachments

DaddyJohn

Came out nice! Digging how the handle bars look with that plate.
Not all the way there yet, but getting close! Only thing to add yet looks-wise will be the clutch guard.

That bar was something I think a PO added, along with the other things I mentioned. It’s 1/4” plate, lol…. Did I mention this mini is heavy? :D

Lizardking

Not all the way there yet, but getting close! Only thing to add yet looks-wise will be the clutch guard.

That bar was something I think a PO added, along with the other things I mentioned. It’s 1/4” plate, lol…. Did I mention this mini is heavy? :D
Dang!!! Bullet proof armor!!!

Maybe wheelie proof with the front heavy and rear wheel far back?

DaddyJohn

Dang!!! Bullet proof armor!!!

Maybe wheelie proof with the front heavy and rear wheel far back?
Yes, proportions are definitely unique!

The front wheel is as big as would fit between the fork legs. I could have used a narrower rear to match, but was using stuff I had lying around as much as possible. I kinda like it, lol.

Triley41395

Yes, proportions are definitely unique!

The front wheel is as big as would fit between the fork legs. I could have used a narrower rear to match, but was using stuff I had lying around as much as possible. I kinda like it, lol.
I kind of like the green color.
Is it the picture angle or is the back tire nearly rubbing the gas tank.