70 Rupp Scrambler questions

I just purchased a 1970 Rupp Scrambler. The engine was replaced at some time and the bike was painted yellow. I believe most of the other scrambler parts are there. Besides the headlight and the engine/carb what else looks incorrect?

The original color was blue and the Serial number decal is still under the seat.
I would like to paint it the original colors again, any recommendations for a paint brand/color (blue)? I know the tank needs to be silver.

The engine number is HS40 5505G SER 8348B.
Is this a 4 hp engine? Any guesses on the year (78, 88?).
It the exhaust pipe correct for a scrambler?

The photos make it look better than it is, the chrome is lightly pitted ant the paint is a 50 footer.

Thanks for any help.

I can't answer most of your questions, though your motor is a 4hp I believe. I just have to chime in to say that that is a beautiful bike. Rupp Roadsters and Scramblers were some of the nicest, most sophisticated minibikes ever made IMHO.
:thumbsup:

markus

engine size and exhaust woudl beincorrect for a scrambler. They were 3.5hp and they used a small taylor muff.

that is the correct enduro/roadster exhaust though, you would just be lacking a front brake to make it an "enduro" or if the motor is a lighted, get the harness, rear light, reflectors, and walla, its a roadster.

things like the cables, grips, intake-slantwedge, etc.. are incorrect for the bike as well.

jim kise from blackwidowmotorsports has been kind enough to share some paint codes etc.. and I also suggest them for Rupp specific parts as well as they are great to deal with :thumbsup:

WIRING DIAGRAMS & PAINT CODES

here is what the original scrambler should look like (this was before I redid it to stock minus the paint color of the frame)

Here is the original blue that is on a roadster I am working on right now:

oldfatguy

That's a nice bike to restore, it looks to still be in nice condition and you seem to have a lot of the real hard to find parts still on it. I'm not sure that your bike is a scrambler because it has some parts on it that the scrambler didn't have although they could have been added later. The 70 scrambler didn't come with a head light or the chrome exhaust pipe. But it did come without a front brake. That engine is a later model HP the original engine would have been an HS 35 --3 1/2 hp. You will need to research just which model you want to restore it as because with just a few more parts it's almost a 1970 roadster. congratulations on a real nice find.

Thanks for the replies, its not a lighted motor so it could get costly making it into a roadster.

The front shocks/springs seem to bottom out on hard bumps (even when my 10 year old rides it), is there a rebuild kit?

The kids love to ride it so I may just have to find a roadster project to work on and keep for myself :thumbsup: My 12 year old took his first spill on the grass with it today (no injuries) and it was a learning experience. It was nice not to have to worry about a restored bike getting damaged, just picked it up, pulled the grass and mud off of it and sent him on his way:thumbsup: I think he was more scared of me being mad at him for dumping the bike:laugh:

I had a 70 Roadster when I was 11 so this bike brings back a lot of memories.

The kids love to ride it so I may just have to find a roadster project to work on and keep for myself :thumbsup: My 12 year old took his first spill on the grass with it today (no injuries) and it was a learning experience. It was nice not to have to worry about a restored bike getting damaged, just picked it up, pulled the grass and mud off of it and sent him on his way:thumbsup: I think he was more scared of me being mad at him for dumping the bike:laugh:

I had a 70 Roadster when I was 11 so this bike brings back a lot of memories.
I think you nailed it. Since the bike isn't 100% restored it's perfect for the kids, keep it just the way it is and let them ride the hell out of it:smile:.
There's plenty of these bikes out there, you can always pick up another "70 Roadster for yourself to restore:thumbsup: