750 Tote Gote Tribute

I'm starting on a 750 Tote Gote that I want to be a tribute to the Racing Tote gotes seen in these early 70's pictures. These gotes had a 12" front wheel instead of the standard 8".

Starting with this 750 I call 'Iron Cross'. The rear part of the frame was hacked up and the 'iron cross' sissy bar was added. The lethal rear fender also had to go. The front forks were in a bucket. The tank wasn't too bad but the fill neck had rusted off.

The original 8" front wheel will be replaced with this 12" wheel and hub. Also shown is the original rear wheel to compare sizes. I had an extra set of heavy duty forks that will be easy to extend a few inches to fit the larger tire.

The heavy duty forks are made of thicker wall tube and have thicker triple-tree brackets than the stock 750 forks. They are 1/2" taller without the extensions ( and heavier ). I think I will have to gusset the headstock. I have gathered a new rear tire and the rear shocks for the build.

delray

the 12 rims around here are real easy to find still. i could of bought half dozen of them this year at swapmeets for next to nothing. most of them are 4lug that i do see,but i was looking for 5 lug and did find a set for $5 a piece.
Richard the rims are really cool. both side rim are the same. the only differents is the hole for the lug nuts. there was a guy selling just the flange with 4 or 5 lug drill out with the center hole too on ebay and all a guy had to do is make up a piece of tubing and center the flange up and weld.
just past up a nice pair of 12inch vintage snow tires that would of look also great for your bike project....:thumbsup:

That is a great idea Richard! I considered doing something similar with my Twister, but decided it will have to wait. I'd like to copy a set of leading link forks then add a good set of modern shocks front and rear. I haven't yet found any solid info for 12" wheels on a twister,such as fork and swing arm length or gearing.

That's a great idea Richard.
I'v really have got bitten with the trail scooter bug myself.
Seeing a Tote Gote powering into a turn. Bearcat Twister in mid flight during a jump. That old photo of the mini bikes and trail scooters at the start of a race.
Uncomplicated no BS fun!:thumbsup:
Bullhead!

I hope to pepper this thread with the old pictures. I had to tear a second pair of 750 forks apart to check how much I need to pre-load the springs. Before trying to take tote gote forks apart, look at the bottom of the fork tube where the seals were crimped in. You need to pry out the crimps before trying to pull the slide. The pre-load tube is a base for the spring and it's length makes sure the springs bottom before the wheel hits the forks. These original 750 forks have the spring loaded about 3". Smaller model tote gotes (model 600) only preload about 1".