8 HP Briggs questions

New member with many questions... I got this engine with a Tote-Gote, it's a Briggs & Stratton 8hp, on the starter shroud it's stamped Model 190402 Type 1835-03 Code 80021110 It turns over ok. After pulling the head, cylinder walls look ok, valves seem ok, valve clearance ok, cleaned up and installed and torqued head. Compression is 62 psi. Carburetor looks like it could be from something else. obviously some parts are missing, air cleaner, exhaust, linkage... I can't find that type on the Briggs site and wondering about parts, and parts diagrams..
Any help appreciated.

Tote-Gote 8hp Briggs (2).JPG Tote-Gote 8hp Briggs.JPG

Hi Gr8cub and welcome. Your bike came with a 7HP, but it seems most of those are long gone. The 8 is much more available. That does look like the correct flow jet carb.

Do you have the outer cover for that climb-away clutch? I recommend taking the springs out, cleaning it up and spraying some Comet dry lube on the surfaces that see metal on metal movable contact.

On my Gote, I ended up by passing the governor and using a throttle direct to the butterfly. I fabricated mounts and levers on the lower carb support to accomplish that.

Here is a site I use to find part numbers, with a link to (I think) your engine. https://www.partstree.com/parts/bri...020-01-briggs-stratton-engine-rewind-starter/

There is another new member from MT with another gote as well. There are several knowledgeable Gote guys on here, and I'm sure Richard will be on shortly to answer your questions more in-depth. I'll help you in any way I can as well.

Hi Gr8cub and welcome. Your bike came with a 7HP, but it seems most of those are long gone. The 8 is much more available. That does look like the correct flow jet carb.

Do you have the outer cover for that climb-away clutch? I recommend taking the springs out, cleaning it up and spraying some Comet dry lube on the surfaces that see metal on metal movable contact.

On my Gote, I ended up by passing the governor and using a throttle direct to the butterfly. I fabricated mounts and levers on the lower carb support to accomplish that.

Here is a site I use to find part numbers, with a link to (I think) your engine. https://www.partstree.com/parts/bri...020-01-briggs-stratton-engine-rewind-starter/

There is another new member from MT with another gote as well. There are several knowledgeable Gote guys on here, and I'm sure Richard will be on shortly to answer your questions more in-depth. I'll help you in any way I can as well.
Thanks, I'm actually in WA now but grew up in MT. I have the cover for the clutch, didn't know you could take it apart, I'll add that to my list.
When I put in the numbers for my engine it never shows up? Those are the numbers from the top of the shroud. Bypassing the governor sounds like a good idea, some fab work will be in order anyway.. I want to extend the exhaust out the back with a spark arrestor too.

When you take the clutch apart, BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVER STRETCH THE SPRINGS. THERE ARE NO REPLACEMENTS OR SUBSTITUTES.
Extending the exhaust is a good idea. try to get the heat away from the belt and brake band. I have a parts pdf to get the old part #'s. Sent my e-mail in private message

When you take the clutch apart, BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVER STRETCH THE SPRINGS. THERE ARE NO REPLACEMENTS OR SUBSTITUTES.
And I'll toss this out there. I recently rebuilt two of these climb-away clutches. If you want, you can send it to me with a ten or a twenty in it, and I'll disassemble it, clean it, apply dry lube and reassemble and send it back.

And I'll toss this out there. I recently rebuilt two of these climb-away clutches. If you want, you can send it to me with a ten or a twenty in it, and I'll disassemble it, clean it, apply dry lube and reassemble and send it back.
One of those clutches belonged to me.Super job I might add...Also I have an extra complete 7 horse.Compression is low,needs rings,but everything else looks good including the bore.

Extending the exhaust is a good idea. try to get the heat away from the belt and brake band. I have a parts pdf to get the old part #'s. Sent my e-mail in private message
Thanks Richard, email sent.

Thanks Dave, when I get to the clutch I might just take you up on that!

Hey Richard, with Havasu Dave's help, and a small puller, (and the patience Dave told me I'd need), I finally got the clutch off and apart. Everything seems to be in decent enough shape I should be able to use it. Thanks!

I have one with the 8hp motor on it --- slowly bringing it back to life.

Richard -- If I may I'll send a pm with email for a copy of the parts pdf also

thanks

kevin