A heart with no body; the Turbo 10hp Briggs & Stratton. Aka Timebomb.(56K beware!)

65ShelbyClone

Well yeah, I don't want it to scatter either....at least not until I'm way out in front! A finishline engine fragmentation is great for the spectators. :thumbsup:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I might have to put you on the "ICE HOUSE RACING TEAM"

I know I have some of my friends reading this. They always tell me about something I typed on this site. So I have to be careful. LOL

65ShelbyClone

I might have to put you on the "ICE HOUSE RACING TEAM"

I know I have some of my friends reading this. They always tell me about something I typed on this site. So I have to be careful. LOL
I might have to stop disclosing my setup and mods if you do that. :eek:nline2long: I mean, it's sort of hard to hide a turbo, but some other "aces" I have in mind are not. :shifty:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Well all you have to do is come back with your head shaking and saying "No, Somthing is wrong with it!"

That get's them most of the time.:shifty:

65ShelbyClone

I got most of the fuel system setup for gasoline now, but the intake and intercooler tubing is unfinished. The first runs are going to be with just open exhaust and no turbo.

I need to get some 1.00-1.25" square steel tubing so I can start on a frame.

With all that power i would make the frame as low to the ground as possible and put a big wide back tire on the back. That would be awesome!

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I have Joes make custom frames for me. All I do is draw it on a paper, and he makes it up. Usually a custom frame only cost $50 more then a stock frame.

You would be surprised at what a stock frame can handle.

Remember light!

65ShelbyClone

It's been a while since I worked on the engine, but I had some free time today and decided to try out a new non-turbo fuel map for gasoline. Not 20 seconds after I got it running, the fuel pump came unglued...literally. The silicone holding the fuel inlet adapter on had melted and vibration finished it. The fuel pump fell off followed by a half gallon of stale gas. Luckily the whole mess didn't catch on fire. That's partly why I like methanol; you can put it out with water. I used JB Weld this time and a lot of it.

Anyway, the new fuel map looked promising, so expect more progress tomorrow and maybe this weekend. I might just go ahead and convert the ignition over to an automotive coil ahead of schedule. Once I get a proper trigger wheel I'll be able to do full spark control......and turbo antilag. :shifty:

65ShelbyClone

No, JB is not that great, but I JB'd something else on the pump long ago and that hasn't failed yet. Whatever was in the fuels didn't get along with the RTV and it turned to bubblegum.

65ShelbyClone

Did a little more "shakedown" running today. I waited overnight for the JB to cure and resumed this afternoon.

With that, a new problem reared its ugly head; my one-off, abused, second-hand, corroded, and modified Bosch 35lb/hr injector failed. It stuck open and I couldn't clean it out enough to make it work, so I resorted to using one of the 19lb/hr(200cc) Suzuki injectors that came with the throttlebodies. I adjusted the MegaSquirt for the smaller injector and it fired right up and sat there idling at 1100rpm while I datalogged everything that was happening. It caught revs pretty well even though the whole tune is painfully rich. I don't have the turbo installed right now, so that's how I'm getting away with the small injector.

65ShelbyClone

I was able to clean out my one-off injector and get it working again. I ran the engine N/A and also some with the turbo installed, but not hooked up to the intake. I shot a bunch of video and somehow managed to lose the clip with the best turbo spooling sound. :mad: I'll have some compiled into a video tomorrow.

In other news, I think I hurt the motor. The fuel base map I have been running is "mosquito fogger" rich. I suspect that the cylinder got washed down and that's why it.......seized. Yeah, it locked up on me. The crank still had end-to-end play, so I knew it was in the cylinder. I put a wrench on the crank, freed it up, put a little oil in the cylinder, and cranked it over until it freed up some more. Compression was suddenly low, but still enough to run. In a desperation move, I mixed some gas and a little low-ash synthetic blend Maxima 2-stroke oil. The idea is for the oil to act as a top end lube until I can properly lean out the fuel map. I ran it that way a little bit and compression came back up, but I also got lots of new exhaust smoke. It doesn't smell like 2-stroke mix either; it smells like crankcase oil. I may pull the head off and take a look. If the injury is terminal, I'll probably transfer the turbo setup to a used-up Kohler K301 I have.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
You might need a cheap clone Honda motor. They even come with steel sleeves in them.

Hey I have a new name over on that other site. It screwed me up a little. I was doing business with a few guys over there. I'm still trying to figure out there user names and match them to my emails. I can't check my old user name PM's.

65ShelbyClone

Too bad there aren't any cheap GX670 clones. I'd be all over that. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 390 if I go with another engine. I know! How about two 5 or 8hp flatties tied together like a 10-16hp twin with the EFI and turbo? I'd really like to get one of the big upright Tecumseh OHV engines. They look a lot like an 18hp Kohler K361.

How many usernames do you have over there now? It's something like four, isn't it? I didn't see anything over there that was ban-worthy. Maybe it was because you challenged something Mike said. :001_rolleyes: IMO, the "racers" over there tend to take things(and themselves) a little too seriously sometimes.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

I said I'd deliver a video today and I did! A whole 45min to spare!

When I uploaded it it was about 6mb(down from 400+!), so expect a couple minutes for it to load.

I played with the fuel map today and leaned it way the heck out. I must have pulled out 25% and it just kept running cleaner and cleaner. Still smoking, though. I might try straight gas in it again to see if the blue clouds thin out at all.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Nice clip!

Old user names

minidragbike
CEMJR
Mr.Outerlimits
Limited RPM's

Now I'm on my fifth name. No Mike and I are buddies. I think it was because I posted about doing modified work at a much cheaper price then the competition.

Last edited: