A Kustom Kart Reunion...BC1300 Returns Home

Well it was over a year ago that Bayareaburrito told me about this original "Kustom Kart" Bonanza on Ebay. A 1971 BC1300 survivor.

It turned out I knew the seller , I had bought a mini bike from him once before. I called him up and told him I just had to have the bike so we made the deal and I drove to PA to pick it up. I tucked the bike away in the back of the garage.

I decided a month or so ago to drag it out and get it ready for Windber...

The bike looked like it had always been well cared for...it was just tired. My kid and I tore the whole bike down and started polishing the original paint and cleaning the chrome.

Luckily whoever added the front peg bar was not a good welder...we were able to carefully remove it, as well as the incorrect bolt on mid peg.

One of the mid mounted footpegs had broken off, so we found another original peg and bracket (Thanks EvilEd :pimp:) and welded it on.

We pulled the original HS40 motor down just to be safe....the rod journal on the crank was worn pretty bad:

.... so we replaced the crank along with the rod (Thanks for the parts ATKRider!)

All cleaned up and re-assembled:

Fresh points and condensor...set the timimg.

And an NOS patina matching, white recoil showed up in the mail :

(Thank-you Bandit40 :bowdown:)

Finally, new throttle and brake cables (thanks OldMiniBikes.com)

That was it... the rest of the bike: wheels, tires, shocks, fenders, clutch cover, chrome tank, exhaust, headlight, tailight, throttle, grips, brake lever, sprockets, kickstand, etc etc...even the shock boots and seat...all original!

Last edited:
We worked on it every night and finished putting it back together the Wed before Windber.

It was going to be Guardrail Dave's parade bike but unfortunately the weather dictated otherwise and we didn't make the trip.

Last edited:
Today we decided it was time for a road trip...a trip down to Raceway Park in Englishtown...a trip to reuinte the bike with the guy who first unloaded it off a truck, uncrated it, and pushed it onto his showroom floor over 42 years ago...

Richie Luwig , "Mr. Kustom Kart" himself.

I unloaded it out of sight, down at the end of the 1/4 mile drag...

Robosaurus was there hanging out :scared:

he's not nearly as scary during the day when he's sleeping..:wink:

As I rolled up towards Rich's spot his head instictively turned towards the sound of the approaching 4 stroke ...and a big smile ran across his face as he hopped off the truck to meet me.

He circled the bike scrutinizing every detail..when he got around to the fork plate he just stared and nodded his head. One of those great moments.

We had a great time reminiscing as usual, this guy is so much fun to talk to. His abiltity to recall events, dates, names, of things that happened almost 50 years ago is just remarkable. We made some plans to get together on some more mini bike/ go kart history projects.... so stay tuned.

Rich Ludwig

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

Damn you Gerry!
You are about 8 hours late with these pics!

awesome bike and great story. I am sure he appreciates seeing some of the old bikes and karts!

I have the same exhaust i have been wrestling with to figure out where that L shaped bracket goes...now I know! Doh!:doah:

Looks awesome Gerry! It's cool you got pictures of the bike with Richie Luwig. I'm sure he held back some tears when he saw the decal on the fork plate. Too bad you couldn't make it to Windber.

Great find and great story Gerry, you have some real treasures and some great stories behind them. If the good Lord lets me live long enough I'll get up to Jersey one day and buy you and your family a steak dinner and then you can give me a tour of your toy box before I go back to Long Island to stay with my peeps for a visit in their historic estate. I have had some neat stuff, still have some but mostly junk I fixed up and certainly little that has any real history like your dual engine Bonanza and now this one.:thumbsup:

Cool....full circle....for the bike, the entreprenuer, and ...... the Kid :thumbsup:.

Gerry, thank you for creating, and sharing with us, another time machine moment.

Gerry,you sure find the good ones to bring back to life and the great stories behind them.super nice job done again, what is the next one to do?:thumbsup:

Outstanding, all the way around. Your understanding of the historical significance and the importance of preserving the old machines puts you in a class all your own.

What a nice thread to wake up to.