A new citizen

Oldsalt

Have long had a speaking relationship with a guy the works at a shop I often visit. Has a heavy, unidentifiable accent. About a year ago he started asking an occasional question that had to do with our system of government. I would give him my best answers about governmental things, viz bicameral legislature, supreme court function, and etc. [The truth, no Obama spin]. I never put two and two together to realize that he was abnormally interested in these things because he was trying to get U.S. citizenship.

Friday I was there and he walked up to me and announced that he had passed all his paper work and was going to be a citizen! I then took the time to ask where he was from and why he came to America. His parents were 'Displaced Persons' after WWII and moved about in the USSR and satellites but had no country. No country. He exclaimed how it was wonderful to finally have a country. His pride was overwhelming. Gave me pause to think about how lucky I have been. He sorta woke me up.

He will be a fine, upstanding American. Almost brought tears to my eyes.

Those citizen tests are involved. People that pass them know more about USA than most Americans do. We think we know our government, but when it comes down to the brass tacks... most don't. Even now, I find myself still learning things I never knew about our government. Props to him passing the test and being here the right, legal way :thumbsup:

Kevin - Hillsboro, OH

Funny think is, they have to pass a test that are kids in school could not. They really don't teach the anerican history that I learned in school. I asked a frinds kid that was in high school what happened in 1776 and they could not answer it. He really need to stary teaching our kids, the systems not going to do it.
And yes I do teach my children real american history. They know a ton about our founding fathers as well