A Shop Vac That Really Sucks!

I am looking for a recommendation for a shop vac that actually does what it's supposed to do. I currently have the large Shop Vac brand and a large Rigid vac that has dolly wheels and a dolly-type handle. Unfortunately they BOTH suck but not in a good way. Neither one has been very strong from the get-go and the Shop Vac latches are constantly coming undone. If you have experience with a brand that really works I would love to hear from you. Thanks, in advance.

mustangfrank

I am looking for a recommendation for a shop vac that actually does what it's supposed to do. I currently have the large Shop Vac brand and a large Rigid vac that has dolly wheels and a dolly-type handle. Unfortunately they BOTH suck but not in a good way. Neither one has been very strong from the get-go and the Shop Vac latches are constantly coming undone. If you have experience with a brand that really works I would love to hear from you. Thanks, in advance.
Shop Vac is out of business as of September.

I love my old Contractors Vac and I have a 4.5hp Hang Up Pro in the garage that works awesome. The Rigid portable I had I couldn't complain about either other than it was a small portable and the little filter would let some dust past after plugging up way too often. What hp do you have? I know the pleated filters don't like much drywall dust before they will affect performance. Assuming you're smarter than my buddy and take the filter out before wet vacuuming too.

16090332923623381513448586724913.jpg

pomfish

Hey!
I resemble that comment about take the filter out before wet vacuuming :)
You only make that mistake once.

Anyway back to the OP question, Shop Vac/Craftsman, older the better a far as strong clamps. And low hours, maybe estate sale find or yard sale if you are lucky.
If you can find a professional one like the chimney guys use, now those suckers go to ELEVEN.
They are usually chrome/stainless, really not sure of the brand but man the Rpm's are amazing.

(If they still make them the way they used to)- Get a Sears/Craftsman. I still have the one I purchased way back in the late 1980s when I was a general contrcator and it still works great My demo crew used it almost every day pulling up all sorts of things including stucco, plaster, and mortar. Get one of the larger ones (16-20 Gal tank) that uses the larger 2.5" hose.
Michael

Thanks for the input guys. An older one would be ideal as I have passed my older ones on to the kids and they were still working good. I went on Amazon and bought a Vacmaster Beast which was rated pretty high from consumers and it cost about 150 Chicharrones. The contractor Vacs where anywhere from $400 to $1100 which is a bit out of my spectrum. And yes Frank I had the common sense to remove the filter when sucking up water. I CAN'T BELIEVE someone would actually NOT do that. :)

mustangfrank

Thanks for the input guys. An older one would be ideal as I have passed my older ones on to the kids and they were still working good. I went on Amazon and bought a Vacmaster Beast which was rated pretty high from consumers and it cost about 150 Chicharrones. The contractor Vacs where anywhere from $400 to $1100 which is a bit out of my spectrum. And yes Frank I had the common sense to remove the filter when sucking up water. I CAN'T BELIEVE someone would actually NOT do that. :)
Follow up post your feedback when you try it. I can't remember exactly but I didn't pay more than 150 bucks 20+ years ago for mine. If mine ever craps out I wouldn't spend 400+ to replace it either...I get inflation but c'mon, they haven't exactly put much R&D into these.

An older stainless Craftsman if you can find one, we had one at a shop I worked at and it was an older one and it worked really well. I have two plastic ones one is a dedicated wet vac both are Craftsman and they do just fine but they are not near the vacuum that old stainless Craftsman was. I would shop online estate sales.