About what year were emissions carburetors introduced?

Hi Folks,
I know that the minibike community is made up of some of the most knowledgeable small engine
people--CFH, Markus,.... About what years did Tecumseh and Briggs introduce emissions carburetors?
Maybe the mid-1990's?

I collect and work on snowblowers. I am thinking of phasing out emissions carburetors, because
the fully adjustable carburetors produce a much better running engine. I love minibikes also. I purchased
used a Fox campus bike in 1969 (probably was a 1967 model.)
Thanks,
Orson Yancey
New Hampster

mustangfrank

Hi Folks,
I know that the minibike community is made up of some of the most knowledgeable small engine
people--CFH, Markus,.... About what years did Tecumseh and Briggs introduce emissions carburetors?
Maybe the mid-1990's?

I collect and work on snowblowers. I am thinking of phasing out emissions carburetors, because
the fully adjustable carburetors produce a much better running engine. I love minibikes also. I purchased
used a Fox campus bike in 1969 (probably was a 1967 model.)
Thanks,
Orson Yancey
New Hampster
I was guessing 1995 because that's when the emissions decals began appearing but you got me looking...Phase in was 1994 in California and 1997 for the US (EPA), both acts were passed a couple years prior. I swear I've pulled a couple earlier 90s engines off of snowblowers with fixed jet carbs though.

PDF document with timeline:
1.0 INTRODUCTION (meca.org)

Last edited: