Ads after paying membership

copyman

It seems I'm getting more ads after I paid for a membership. It's really excessive and don't think it's right for a $25 "reoccurring" yearly fee. I'm a member of several other copier technician forums which are "donation" memberships and not even half the ads I get banged with here!

Don't get me wrong I think the membership fee is worth the valuable information provided here but the ads really stink and take away from it. What's worse is most are not even related to the topic of this forum.

Just my opinion and hope I don't offend anyone.

copyman

This is right after I logged out and back in. before I even had a chance to click on a forum. At least one of the ads "valve spring compressor" is related to this forum.

Attachments

copyman

Well I have tried everything suggested including 3 different computers, Win XP, Win 7 & Win 10. Same thing with all of them, some ads filling up most of the page from hearing aides (which I don't use nor have ever searched on internet) to Walgreens, etc etc.

Thanks for all the help. It is so annoying it will limit my visits here. I use to like poking around and reading and learning on this forum but now will just post a question and leave. Like my original post I had some ads but seems it got worse after I paid for membership. Ads filling almost the whole page and smaller ads at top and bottom. I would look into a spam blocker or something if this was happening on other websites / forums I visit but it's minimal if at all. The donation copier tech forum I posted about does have their own "small" sponsored ads related to copiers at top of page, once you scroll down the posts you see NO ads at all.

Oh well no big deal but will make me think about renewing membership next year.

Well I have tried everything suggested including 3 different computers, Win XP, Win 7 & Win 10. Same thing with all of them, some ads filling up most of the page from hearing aides (which I don't use nor have ever searched on internet) to Walgreens, etc etc.

Thanks for all the help. It is so annoying it will limit my visits here. I use to like poking around and reading and learning on this forum but now will just post a question and leave. Like my original post I had some ads but seems it got worse after I paid for membership. Ads filling almost the whole page and smaller ads at top and bottom. I would look into a spam blocker or something if this was happening on other websites / forums I visit but it's minimal if at all. The donation copier tech forum I posted about does have their own "small" sponsored ads related to copiers at top of page, once you scroll down the posts you see NO ads at all.

Oh well no big deal but will make me think about renewing membership next year.
Strange... Have you tried a different browser? (Firefox is my favorite, not as snoopy as Chrome or Edge) Did you download Malwarebytes? It's free for basic and will give you a one month free trial of Premium. I'm using Premium, cost me $35 for three devices for a year, but I wasn't seeing any ads on here before using it. Don't give up, there must be a solution and there must be at least a few IT people on here who could help you.

copyman

I've tried 3 different computers with different OS's Win XP, 7 & 10.

Also tried Firefox

It is really getting unbearable to even post here. When first logging on there are small ads at top & bottom of page and every 4th or 5th post there are big ads! As soon as I click on a specific forum an ad pops up right in center of screen. You would think someone was punking you that is how bad it is.

Like i said it's only this website. There are other copier forums that I'm a member of that use this same forum format and NO ads. Could be my imagination but it started happening after I paid for membership. I didn't pay for membership to get rid of ads or I would of remembered that, I felt it was only fair to support this site since I was asking so many questions and getting so much great help from a few members.

After I'm done rebuilding this engine and asking some questions I'll ride off into the hills because no way I'll go through this torture!

I see a couple of potential problems...

[1] Looks like you are using an obsolete/unsupported OS (I don't know which one but can tell it isn't Windows 10 by the start button). Support/updates for W7 & W8 ended a year ago, nearly 4 years ago for Vista, nearly 7 years ago for XP. (I checked) BTW, you can upgrade a W7 PC (don't know about any other OS) to W10 for FREE; I upgraded a 9 year old HP W7 laptop to W10 not too long ago (if I can do it, anyone can; 67 y/o and not tech savvy). I also finally gave in and replaced my very slow old W7 desktop with a new W10. Using an OS that no longer receives security updates is unsafe.

[2] I see an Advanced System Care (IObit) icon. I used to use it and eventually determined it caused more problems than it fixed. I later learned that IObit is a Chinese company owned (at least in part) by their government! o_O Malwarebytes identifies Advanced System Care as malware, I learned that when upgrading/updating the previously mentioned laptop that I hadn't used for a few years. I suggest uninstalling any/all IObit software.
https://www.complaintsboard.com/chi...e-company-is-scamming-public-c758824#comments
https://www.techsguide.com/iobit-detail/

I don't see a Malwarebytes icon so I'm guessing you haven't tried using it? (I always see the blue stylized "M" icon at the top-right of my screen, indicating it's active) Try it, I think it may block all that crap and identify the source(s). When a number appears with the icon, click on it for a list of what is being blocked.

75 alerts???!!! Do you ever check them? The most I've ever had at one time was maybe 8 or 9...

Last edited:

copyman

I see a couple of potential problems...

[1] Looks like you are using an obsolete/unsupported OS (I don't know which one but can tell it isn't Windows 10 by the start button). Support/updates for W7 & W8 ended a year ago, nearly 4 years ago for Vista, nearly 7 years ago for XP. (I checked) BTW, you can upgrade a W7 PC (don't know about any other OS) to W10 for FREE; I upgraded a 9 year old HP W7 laptop to W10 not too long ago (if I can do it, anyone can; 67 y/o and not tech savvy). I also finally gave in and replaced my very slow old W7 desktop with a new W10. Using an OS that no longer receives security updates is unsafe.

[2] I see an Advanced System Care icon. I used to use it and eventually determined it caused more problems than it fixed. I later learned that its parent company, IObit, is a Chinese company owned (at least in part) by their government! o_O Malwarebytes identifies Advanced System Care as malware, I learned that when upgrading/updating the previously mentioned laptop that I hadn't used for a few years. I suggest uninstalling any/all IObit software.
https://www.complaintsboard.com/chi...e-company-is-scamming-public-c758824#comments
https://www.techsguide.com/iobit-detail/

I don't see a Malwarebytes icon so I'm guessing you haven't tried using it? (I always see the blue stylized "M" icon at the top-right of my screen, indicating it's active) Try it, I think it may block all that crap and identify the source(s). When a number appears with the icon, click on it for a list of what is being blocked.

75 alerts???!!! Do you ever check them? The most I've ever had at one time was maybe 8 or 9...
I guess you missed my post where I said I tried wix XP, 7 & 10. Also tried firefox. I hate win 10 but came on the laptop I use for work.

Ran full scan with malewarebytes (don't have icon on desktop) found one threat which I deleted.

Thanks for info about iobit I will delete it especially now knowing it's Chinese. Hopefully that is the problem.

What's puzzling is I also posted I belong to other copier tech & auto repair forums that use this same or similar format and NO ads! And that's with using Win XP, 7 or 10 !

When I click on the alerts most are saying I have a reply from people on this forum.

Will report back after your suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I didn't miss anything, I was just commenting on what I saw in your photos.

Make sure "Ads / Trackers" is turned on in Malwarebytes.

As I said, I'm a geezer and not very tech savvy. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge will come along and be more helpful.