Another (dumb?) question on exhaust pipes

I fabbed up a straight pipe for my baja.

Once on, without support, the pipe vibrates a lot.
It this just the pipe flexing, or do engines actually move around some while running?

I realize some sort of semi flexible mount is needed. My fear is that the vibration if mounted too firmly will ruin something.
Also if not mounted firmly enough, I'll have the same problem.

Is there a rule of thumb on this stuff?

Thanks.

Joe

Pics? I brace all mine using the 6mm bolt hole near the exhaust. I run a brace from that hole to about 3/4 the length of the pipe and weld it to the pipe that triangulates it.

from what I've seen long pipes as yours are solid clamped to that upright frame member..if is a short pipe they use an engine mount support. .................................................................................................... IMG_20160921_151441.jpg this has no welded tab.. think part of it is clamping muffler on...a welded tab to put a bolted strap to it could be used

Last edited:
from what I've seen long pipes as yours are solid clamped to that upright frame member..if is a short pipe they use an engine mount support. .................................................................................................... View attachment 89683 this has no welded tab.. think part of it is clamping muffler on...a welded tab to put a bolted strap to it could be used
It is not a good idea to clamp the pipe to the frame as the engine and frame will vibrate/flex at different rates and you can break something. A better way is brace the pipe back to somewhere on the engine.
Michael

It is not a good idea to clamp the pipe to the frame as the engine and frame will vibrate/flex at different rates and you can break something. A better way is brace the pipe back to somewhere on the engine.
Michael
I do agree..stress on the exhaust port flange is an issue..I just see them sold w clamps..

Last edited:
The best I've come up with is a tab on the frame, tab on the pipe, then a 2" or 3" link bolted to the tabs with grommets. That allows some movement without letting the pipe shake itself to death. All hard mounts to the frame have ended up with broken tabs or pipes.

Last edited:
The best I've come up with is a tab on the frame, tab on the pipe, then a 2" or 3" link bolted to the tabs with grommets. That allows some movement without letting the pipe shake itself to death. All hard mounts to the frame have ended up with broken tabs or pipes.
Would you happen to have a pic perhaps?

Thanks

Something like this near the engine and then you can mount the exhaust behind it however you like.

Walker Connector-Flex without Bushing 41793: Advance Auto Parts

I run them (larger size of course) behind the headers on my trucks and it keeps the collectors from coming loose all the time.

I think what boostinjdm is talking about is kinda like an universal exhaust used in the automotive world.

If I'm wrong sorry for stepping on any toes

Last edited:
Well, here's today's experiment. I took a crazy looking, toothed clamp, and put a chunk of heavy rubber bunji with it. I took it on a long ride, with some heavy long hills. The rubber only stunk for a little bit, and hardly burned at all.
At least for now, the pipe is suspended, isn't jiggling all over the place, and yet has room to move.
I have one open bolt hole on that side of the engine that I will try to make some sort of support to hold it in the future. There's a1/2 inch or so between the pipe and the frame.
The gross looking turquoise thing is a silicone hot pad I glued with high temp pooky to the heat shield. It looks awful, but protects me, and my dogs feet when they jump up.

IMG_3812.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

Hey if it works.....if it dries out you could try use heat wrap tape...many many wraps under clamp or a thick folded piece..just got a thought..if you had old piece of an oven door gasket ..they get up to 900° in self clean....happy trails : ]

Last edited:
Instead of rubber you can use a silicone strip. Lowes sells them in the plumbers section in 6 inch square pads of about 1/8 or 1/4 inch thickness for making gaskets. They also have some rubber ones and they are both red but the silicone should be more heat resistant.

I'm sure home depot and other places have the same thing but all I have local is a lowes.