Another speedway

I saw this frame on ebay and couldn't resist. I have decided to make it a decicated test bed/ drag bike with no lights or street amenities. It was pretty crusty and coated with paint over the rust, I did a first pass with my pressure washer sandblast attachment and now I am starting to mock it up. I had a set of inverted forks I am going to use so had to rebuild those, and they are kinda heavy but look kind of cool on it. I have a speedway seat cover but also a steel TT type seat I may use instead but would have to trim off a couple of inches off of the back of the frame to maike it look right. Let me know what you guys think of the stock seat vs steel one, which I would upholster if I use it. I went to put the frame in my glass bead cabinet and it would not fit, then when putting on a speedway tank the top tube seemed much too long. I am thinking it must be a frame from the 14" one. Anyway I have some tires and one rear wheel and am now acquiring the rest of the stuff I need. I will fabricate a extended swing arm like I did for my other speedway.

delray

yes ole4, it does look to be a large frame from a red baron or green hornet bike? i am sure a speedway guy will chim in on this.
that would be a great project if you kept it more like a motorcross style bike. frame is setup for it. not so much for a cafe style...maybe?either way you will figure something out...:thumbsup:
just need to find the correct tank and the rest of the stuff you can just fab up your self. mount one of your clones on it and gear it real low so it will turn some high rpm's and that bike will fly....:thumbsup: nice if you could get a 7 inch driven to fit,but i don't think it will?
i pickup a red baron a while ago and you frame looks alot like it.

this is how i found it at the swapmeet. behind the sign and a big harley seat on top of it......:laugh:

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures! Helps a lot that tank is a lot longer than my speedway tank. I bought a nos allsport steens tank for cheap from ebay. Now I have to decide what seat stock or tt seat.

Well a little more progress after a setback. My Tig welder crapped the bed so everything I welded was with my mig welder, not as pretty but I'm sure plenty strong. I am just about done with the swingarm fabrication except for welding the caliper torque arm mount on. I made a floating caliper mount like my old trackmaster flat trackers with the hurst airhart brakes, these are all cheap Chinese pit bike brakes but I have to say the other bikes I have used them on stop great!
. I also mounted a tire on the front wheel (after perforating the first two tubes) and figured out the proper amount of space for spacers on the front wheel to keep the disc in the caliper and spin free and try to keep the wheel centered in the front forks, using a ebay wheel and disc and forks from a dirt bike, what a pain.

Biffmini

Looking great! I feel your pain on getting it all to work. But it sure is nice when you get it all dialed in... I think we need a pic of the cafe sitting on her, I'm just curious... :hammer: :hack::grind::biggrin:

Some more progress on the mockup. Need a longer rear brake hydraulic hose, need to weld on some fender mounts on either frame or swingarm. I put the tt seat on just to have a seat but may go with a repro speedway seat.

Today I cut the engine plate so the Salsbury 33 Driven would fit. The salsbury has a slightly larger diameter than the originals so a slight cut where it hits is required on the speedway frames with a lip.

A little more progress on the mockup. Installed tach and front stabilizer. fitting a rear fender and got the sprocket bolted to the original sprocket and cut foam for the seat.. I also welded up the split sprocket as It was rather large and I didn't want it separating.

Front end is quite heavy for a mini but this is more for a testbed and having fun at the drags even though the weight will kill it.

Thanks, been tied up for the holidays, hope to get in the shop tomorrow. My old tig went up in smoke so I treated myself to a good one and what a difference! Can’t wait to make a tc cover.

Got into the garage yesterday and replaced rear brake hose with a longer one that fits perfect. I mounted the motor fitted the driver for the TQ and modded a clutch cover over the TQ to mount a TQ cover. Made a cover out of sheet aluminum and it was the first aluminum sheet metal I tigged with my new tig welder. My old one went up in smoke and it always gave me a hard time welding think aluminum. This one makes it fun!

delray

hey ole4 ,you mentioned in another thread about your header being tune to 7500 rpm's. i am assuming you are putting one of your built motors on this bike? i was just wondering how you are going to achieve 7500 rpm's with the rear gearing and the 6inch rear driven unit you have on your bike. i would think it would take quite a bit distance to achieve that kind of rpm's and speed.
bike looking good.....:thumbsup:

It is the predator I had in the Non hemi build thread.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...144112-building-hemi-predator-test-motor.html
The rear gear is 84 and jackshaft gear is 12. so that is a 7to1 ratio in high. This is a salsbury 330 so high range is 1 to 1. I may have to get a bigger rear sprocket though as the tire is pretty big, gonna have to measure it. For the pipe I just finished adding a couple inches to the primary as I had fitment issues. My primary length is now greater than the 13.9 max so I will probably drop the torque peak. The motor has a black mamba, 1.3 ratio rockers, ported 32/25 head, 37lb springs and 16cc chamber with a flat top piston. Carb is a 26mm flat slide. You cant fit a 7 inch driven in a speedway frame but I have this setup in another bike and the take off is pretty intense till about 8 MPH, you better be holding on.