Antique style Tractor

Heres my Tractor Progect im working on. Building it from scratch since im too cheap to go out and buy a wheel horse or somthing like that. Iv got a 5hp tec going to a right angle gear box to a peerless 5 speed and then a peerless diff. I still dont know what im going to use to make the rear fenders or how ill design the hood but one step at a time. Crappy pics but I gotta show you something :laugh:. Heres the fun part. I have a little vintage snowblower that im going to use on the front of it powered right off the engine pto with a dual pulley. And Im going to make the down shaft of the right angle gear box power the mower deck which is the old deck of a snapper push mower. It will be quick release but the height wont be adjustable and itll be powered whenever the tractor is in motion. And Iv got a little plow from the back of a roto tiller that im going to make boltable to the back end of it for digging ditches or whatever. Im not sure how well all the attatchments will work but I figure If i get atleast one of them working good It will be a usefull machine :smile: Im still not sure if i want to leave it ratty or paint it up nice we'll see how it looks after its all mocked up i guess.

Heres the old snowblower. its chain drive so ill have to build a little jackshaft onto the engine plate. Thats an old pic i already used that engine on somthing else

im going for somthing like this maby not quite as pretty though

rmm727

You stole my idea. I love those Wheel Horse Suburbans. I wanted a 5hp Brigga with a TAV to a 3 speed transaxle I have with a horizontal input pulley. Think continuously variable ratios in each gear. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

yea thats a good idea. I threw around a few different setups but this way seems best for getting both attatchments to work and still fit the small size. Its all fitting together really well sofar

Glad to see someone else around plays with tractors. Here's my Rat Rod, 1972 Raider 10. I got a 67 Raider with a dual range 4speed axle to restore and just picked up this 1988 518-H last week.

well bill im going for the ones like in the picture because thats how all the old tractors are. Im hopeing to just find somthing already bent like that at the junkyard because im not sure how id go about making a compound curve like that without proper metal forming tools . im going on friday so ill be lookin. maby even an inner fender from some car

Looks great so far Jeep, I will be keeping my eye on this thread. I have a lot of the parts to build a nice little tractor like that kicking around but haven't tackled it yet. I will be watching yours to get ideas. :thumbsup: Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

thanks . Im not sure if it will be as cool as id like it to be but ill try :laugh:
Good news I got the fenders i wanted at the junk yard today. they are inner rear fenders from a 63 ford convertable. It was hacked to pieces so it was easy access and I think theyll work great. they are a little flimsy but ill fix that either with supports or a lip around the edge. also i got the steering colum going in and started on the coul part that supports it and holds the controls.

zeeman

This is going to be fun to watch. I like your ideas. I like tractors too, but I have to get rid of some of my Snapper collection before I can get something else to fix up. I like the Simplicty, or Cub Cadet. Something with a big Kohler engine. Good luck on your project.

heres what im lookin at now. gotta trim down the fenders quite a bit obviously but I think they will work. and im gonna try to bend the edge all the way round to soften it and add strenth i might make some special pliers for that :shrug: but ill probrobly wait till its farther along till i do that.

got one to

I also had fun re doing a wheel horse tractor, and it kinda led me to the mini bike project that im in. I would love to stretch a tractor like this one and put a v twin in it .

Looks good Jeep, it is coming along great. :thumbsup: Did you see the little vintage tractor Rick restored on American Restoration? I saw it and it reminded me of your project.

i couldnt find the whole episode but i saw the clips on u-tube. I saw this one years ago at a car show. neat machine

i had good progress on the tractor the past few days. got the front axle made up and installed aswell as the tie rod. Im going to have to make a pivoting bellcrank for it to transfer the forward and back motion of the steering gear to the side to side motion of the tie rod. also got the tranny holes drilled and in place so now i can get the back axle a little more permanent. Also iv got a plan for the grille and hood and started on that a little bit. they are gonna be nice and stout so i can ram stuff and sit/stand on it if i have to. :laugh: heres the only pic iv got for now

nice one i saw your other thread on it. i see so many good old tractors go through the junk yard its a shame some of them are not bad at all. There is one there now its a newer honda but its got a 2 cyl inline watercooled engine its the weirdest thing. Those hubcaps I was thinking i could put some on my tractor. Iv got a bunch of 8" and 6" but no 4" i dont know if they even made them. but it might take away from its bad assness anyway :shrug: