Antique style Tractor

I was hopeing id find a pan somewhere in the house or at the flea market this weekend for the hood. I had the perfect one but it was an inch or two too small in both directions. then i found one the perfect size but it was thin aluminum way too weak. So I guess iv got to make one. I cut up an old stainless sink for the corners and some old shelving for the rest. As you can see itll work out great in the end. but alot more cutting and welding than id hoped for. Ill probrobly weld on a round bar all around the bottom lip for strength and flare. and do the same thing to strenthen the back fenders. Unless i buy or make a bead roller :laugh: also iv got to trim it up about 1.5" from what it is now. also im thinking maby ill peak the hood with a piece of round bar. I had a cool idea if i peak the hood at the front i could make like a devils pick axe at the front as sort of a hood emblem. might be a bit out of theme but well see how it goes. and you can see the mower deck im planning on using and the blow assembly that will bolt on the back

buckeye

Wow, sure is a difference in those who build and those who watch.
Neat to see uses for things us watchers would never think of. Way cool Jeep.

thanks thats why i grab anything from the garbage that I might be able to use someday. I had that sink kicking around for like 3 years I almost scrapd it a few times :smile:

thanks thats why i grab anything from the garbage that I might be able to use someday. I had that sink kicking around for like 3 years I almost scrapd it a few times :smile:
Can't remember the number if times i needed a length of box steel or angle iron the DAY after I go recycle....:hammer: Wish I had a shop as big as yours! Cool project too! :thumbsup:

I picked up one of these too - Hiller Yard Hand tractor made in 54. Very rare little tractor powered by 2 cyl power products engine.

i couldnt find the whole episode but i saw the clips on u-tube. I saw this one years ago at a car show. neat machine

i had good progress on the tractor the past few days. got the front axle made up and installed aswell as the tie rod. Im going to have to make a pivoting bellcrank for it to transfer the forward and back motion of the steering gear to the side to side motion of the tie rod. also got the tranny holes drilled and in place so now i can get the back axle a little more permanent. Also iv got a plan for the grille and hood and started on that a little bit. they are gonna be nice and stout so i can ram stuff and sit/stand on it if i have to. :laugh: heres the only pic iv got for now

rmm727

Any progress Jeep? Been wanting an old Wheel Horse for some time now and was finally able to get an RJ 58-59 with a decent hood and a Suburban 400 or 550 for parts. Will post up some pics as I start to tear into things. I got to finish my K&S Hornet first.

oo lucky. I got the seat mount made and the back tow bar attatchment point made up. Im not sure what ill do to finish it off yet. but next I plan to get the dash board steering column mount thing better mounted so i can continue with the hood. Progress has been very slow since iv been working on my 72 porsche 914. I cut the rusted floorboards/longitudinals out so the car is basicly folding in half. I started to weld in new metal but i need to get the floor done because there is very little holding the car up in the air right now :eek:ut: But i would like to get the thing painted before winter sets in so im not sure what that means for the tractor. we shall see how it goes.

I finally did somthing on the tractor! made a grille for it with square bar. Pretty easy job. Im not sure its exactly the look I wanted but itll do. The next thing i want to do is pull out the tranny and switch the input shaft with a longer one from another tranny i have. that wil make it easier to match up heights with the right angle box. I want to link them with a chain rather than a belt. im not sure how well that will work being horizontal but id like to try it. But dont expect quick progress iv still got a ton going on with the build-off machines :smile:

cool! i was just searching through the threads the other day for small tractors and found this! figured youd put it aside for awhile so i didnt comment on it! looks good!

thanks :smile: Id really like to be riding this thing around this summer but i doubt thats gonna happen. My Ramrod is almost done so ill have more time to work this into the rotation. even doing something small once in a while would be progress. still tons to do on it with all the details

sure! it looks great! and yep! im having to do the same thing with mine! except mine was already built atleast:laugh: i really like that yours has a side shaft motor though!

I made a little progress on my tractor. Made some fenders for it and foot boards.
having trouble planning out the clutch and brake pedals but im sure ill figure it out. Also undecided on the area behind the seat. might put some kind of tool box or might not. the engine has an electric start with one of those snowblower push button/plug in things they usually put on top of the shroud. I have a cool little door im going to graft into the hood for access to it I think. that should be a cool little detail. But iv got to finish the dash console before i do any more work on the hood

You seem to have all spectrums of the build forum covered. This is pretty cool and I had a similar thing in the back of my mind but was more of a ride along snowblower like the standup lawnmowers. Hope that table don't collapse on you! :thumbsup:

Got the steering lincage done. I had to connect the forward and back motion of the steering gear to the side to side motion of the tie rods. and get it going in the right direction and the proper ratio. So with a bit of thought i was able to do it first try. Next im going to do the belt drive from the ragb to the tranny. I think im going to skip the mower deck for now since im having enough trouble just getting the tractor done. I might still do the snow blower since its well on its way already anyway. I decided to make the clutch and brake on a hand leaver rather than foot pedals. With the small size of the tractor I think itll be easier than trying to manipulate your feet around when your already bunched up. So thats where im at right now. Im going to try to get this done before I start something new but no promises there :laugh: the temptation is strong

holee crap its been a year since i did that steering already! seems like just a few months. Anyway I dug this thing out again. I got the cowl built , the exhaust pipe and air filter done and the clutch and guard. I ended up making it a foot clutch. I think itll work. Pics soon. Luckily I still had pics of that old snowblower to figure out the gear ratio on the tiller. Im going to probrobly work on the jackshaft for that next. So many things to sort out on this thing. Iv got to make the handle for the snowblower lift it and lock. then when released it lets the snowblower down and after it hits the ground starts to engage the tiller and all the way forward locks in place again. Kindof a challenge when youve got nothing to start with. Slowest build iv ever done by far. I only have one other progect going at the moment so hopefully i can make some progress now. Im also going to try and make the mower work on this thing and still have to make the belt tensioner from ragb to the tranny. I dont think im going to make the brake work for now but maybe. if I do itll have to be a pedal that matches the one on the left but the lincage will have to go from the left back wheel to the right side foot pad im pretty sure theres not much room for that but i wont know till i get the mower and everything else done. also have to do the dash controls throttle, choke and on off switch. I put some hub caps on it looks pretty cool. I might make some steel wheels for it later for an antique look we'll see

Ok Iv been slacking a bit with the updates but iv got most of the parts primed and ready to paint just have to do the wheels fenders and the frame. Im going with dark red laquer because i have a bunch of it. Check out my crazy choke lincage. I had to make it pull instead of push so i had to make that leaver system. Also the clutch lincage is a little crazy. I may have to do some tweeking with that if it doesnt fully release the belt ill put a brake that hits the driven pulley when the clutch is pressed.

Im sure lol I was pretty jealous when you built yours and mine was just sitting half done. Wont be long now! I just have to smooth out some bondo then its paint time