Any clue?

I just bought this and have no idea what it is or what year it is from? This is my first mini bike since I was a kid. I am 50 now.

It’s very quick and fast for its size. It will almost pull a wheelie without pulling back on the bars. Brakes setup is not the best but it will stop the bike.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

Frame appears to be a Bird Engineering. The neck re-enforcement, scrub brake style, and center stand lead me think that at a glance. Im sure someone else will chime in soon with more specificity. Nice though.
After researching for hours yesterday I believe you may be correct. I appreciate your input. I was told it was a 1965 Sears runabout when I bought it but there is no data plate on the bike. I am just learning and still do not know the differences between Sears and Bird. Thank you.

After researching for hours yesterday I believe you may be correct. I appreciate your input. I was told it was a 1965 Sears runabout when I bought it but there is no data plate on the bike. I am just learning and still do not know the differences between Sears and Bird. Thank you.
I believe Bird made some of the Sears mini bikes.

Is there a model or name of this particular bird mini bike? Any ideas of the years manufactured? Is this a decent mini bike/engine to start out with?

I only paid $300 for it so I believe I got a decent deal on the thing.

I apologize for all the questions and I really appreciate all the help identifying this thing.

Yes, the way I understand it, one in the same.

Wren was a model offered by Bird.
Bird Engineering out of Nebraska i believe it was, hard to find much info of its hayday other than some negative in later years, some financial problems with tecumseh after sales of mini bikes tanked in the early 80's so in years there after tecumseh suffered the same fate with imported cheaper goods or bads, depends on how you view it. Guess when it comes to tecumseh you live by the sword you'll die by it. Karma is tuff at times. I still own the Bird i had as a kid and i have no complaints 40 years later frame wise.

markus

The center stand, aluminum scrub brake and solid fork plate make it middle 1970’s version of that bike. J.C. Penney version was the “foremost” name Pennie’s used on many of thier products. Bird changed the name/badging just about every season on bikes they sold direct, but a mid 70’s name setup like that (and the multi piece wheels makes me also lean towards it being) a Bird “war eagle”. Which was around 1976 later versions lost the fork plate and got bolt on ones brakes were being made from steel, seat designs and materials started to change, etc. and were sold up into the 1980’s

Bird Engineering out of Nebraska i believe it was, hard to find much info of its hayday other than some negative in later years, some financial problems with tecumseh after sales of mini bikes tanked in the early 80's so in years there after tecumseh suffered the same fate with imported cheaper goods or bads, depends on how you view it. Guess when it comes to tecumseh you live by the sword you'll die by it. Karma is tuff at times. I still own the Bird i had as a kid and i have no complaints 40 years later frame wise.
Thanks for all the info!

The center stand, aluminum scrub brake and solid fork plate make it middle 1970’s version of that bike. J.C. Penney version was the “foremost” name Pennie’s used on many of thier products. Bird changed the name/badging just about every season on bikes they sold direct, but a mid 70’s name setup like that (and the multi piece wheels makes me also lean towards it being) a Bird “war eagle”. Which was around 1976 later versions lost the fork plate and got bolt on ones brakes were being made from steel, seat designs and materials started to change, etc. and were sold up into the 1980’s
Wow, thank you for your informative post. I am really enjoying researching this thing.
By the looks of all the other war eagles shown on this website, I don’t believe mine is a war eagle. My rear tire is behind the seat not underneath the seat as I have seen on other war eagles. Maybe a wren or sprite?

Last edited:

markus

Wow, thank you for your informative post. I am really enjoying researching this thing.
By the looks of all the other war eagles shown on this website, I don’t believe mine is a war eagle. My rear tire is behind the seat not underneath the seat as I have seen on other war eagles. Maybe a wren or sprite?
1 they never used the “wren” name on that frame, 2 the sprite name was used in the late 1970’s but it had an open fork plate with a removable number plate.

1676089168197.jpeg