Any guesses. Mini bike??

joshua. c.

MTD Trailflight.

I have one, it originally had a Tecumseh hs40 with a diaphragm carb. these bikes are fairly common. I see them at mini bike events now and then. they aren't as popular or as expensive as rupps due to the funny front end but I know people who swear that they are some of the best ridding bikes. If you want a good ridding, cheep full suspension bike these are a good choice.

Triley41395

MTD Trailflight.

I have one, it originally had a Tecumseh hs40 with a diaphragm carb. these bikes are fairly common. I see them at mini bike events now and then. they aren't as popular or as expensive as rupps due to the funny front end but I know people who swear that they are some of the best ridding bikes. If you want a good ridding, cheep full suspension bike these are a good choice.
I appreciate the answers, I was considering making a project out of it but looks like a lot of work so I might try to find something in a little better shape. It's also a 2 1/2 hour drive one way. I might try to get a super low price and go for it.

Triley41395

You should definitely buy it
They are great bikes
I think that frames made of gold. I definitely wouldn't pay what they think its worth. I'll keep my eyes open for another one. I think they look kind of cool. One of these days I might join Facebook, seems like that's where you find everything nowadays.

joshua. c.

Just out of curiosity how much were they asking.? Everyone seems to think they can get Rupp prices for anything remotely close, which isn't the case. Rupps only fetch the prices that they do because they are supper popular. so they are a terrible benchmark to compare other less popular brands to. for example: you don't look at the price of a Ferrari to determine a price for your Honda, both are good cars but they are in completely different categories and aren't even remotely close in price. the MTD Trailflight dose have its fans but is not a very popular bike so if its not cheep that frame won't sell. If its to pricy check back in with them in a few months (I bet it will still be there) and hit them with a lowball.

Triley41395

Just out of curiosity how much were they asking.? Everyone seems to think they can get Rupp prices for anything remotely close, which isn't the case. Rupps only fetch the prices that they do because they are supper popular. so they are a terrible benchmark to compare other less popular brands to. for example: you don't look at the price of a Ferrari to determine a price for your Honda, both are good cars but they are in completely different categories and aren't even remotely close in price. the MTD Trailflight dose have its fans but is not a very popular bike so if its not cheep that frame won't sell. If its to pricy check back in with them in a few months (I bet it will still be there) and hit them with a lowball.
Maybe I'm way off but to me 300.00 is to high considering I'd need a chainsaw and weed whacker just to load it up. A 2 hour plus drive to see how bad the rust is doesn't help either. I think it would be cool but I'll keep looking.

I think that frames made of gold. I definitely wouldn't pay what they think its worth. I'll keep my eyes open for another one. I think they look kind of cool. One of these days I might join Facebook, seems like that's where you find everything nowadays.
Well you had not mentioned the price when I responded.
$300 sounds high for the frame in the picture. If it was in better condition and a running bike then maybe.

cfh

the rims will be the big problem due to rust, if you get it. also note this is the yellow version with the 12" front wheel, which makes it even better. they are amazing (and fairly inexpensive) mini bikes. but besides the wheel rim issues, there's no repro seats available (that i know of.) And of course the elusive torque converter cover and gas tank is missing (and front fender.)

Last edited:

I74

You would of thought they would of at least got it out of the weeds ect., & stood it up to take pics. :rolleyes:
Think I would pass,, unless you could get it for ''real cheap'',, like say 50 bucks or somethin ...
Front end looks all jacked up also.

Triley41395

Well you had not mentioned the price when I responded.
$300 sounds high for the frame in the picture. If it was in better condition and a running bike then maybe.
the rims will be the big problem if you get it. also note this is the yellow version with the 12" front wheel, which makes it even better. they are amazing (and fairly inexpensive) mini bikes. but besides the wheel rim issues, there's no repro seats available (that i know of.) And of course the elusive torque converter cover and gas tank is missing (and front fender.)
You would of thought they would of at least got it out of the weeds ect., & stood it up to take pics. :rolleyes:
Think I would pass,, unless you could get it for ''real cheap'',, like say 50 bucks or somethin ...
Front end looks all jacked up also.
Those are all my thoughts exactly ,and 50 bucks was exactly what I was willing to pay. I'm sure there's a better deal to be had and I have a couple other projects to do anyway.

toomanytoys

I hate to say for what some of these people think a beat up old rusty frame is worth I'd rather just buy a new China bike and modify it. Although craigslist is full of nuts thinking a beat up bike is worth 700 dollars!

I tried to buy a doodlebug that had no clutch, clutch cover, and a bald rear tire off a guy. He didn't list a price. I called him up and he said 500 firm. I wanted to argue with him, I just laughed and said ok thanks.

I74

I hate to say for what some of these people think a beat up old rusty frame is worth I'd rather just buy a new China bike and modify it. Although craigslist is full of nuts thinking a beat up bike is worth 700 dollars!

I tried to buy a doodlebug that had no clutch, clutch cover, and a bald rear tire off a guy. He didn't list a price. I called him up and he said 500 firm. I wanted to argue with him, I just laughed and said ok thanks.
Sometimes of when people throw out words & ridiculous prices ect.,, it's such an initial shock,, that you can't quite come out with the immediate initial come back,, & have to just roll it thru your head for awhile afterwards,, with the ''colorful'' things that you really wanted to say. LOL .....

Last edited:

Triley41395

Sometimes of when people throw out words & ridiculous prices ect.,, it's such an initial shock,, that you can't quite come out with the immediate initial come back,, & have to just roll it thru your head for awhile afterwards,, with the ''colorful'' things that you really wanted to say. LOL .....

In all honesty I'm very new at the minibike thing, for all I knew it might have been a good price to someone, just not me. It's only been a couple months and I'm up to 4 and still looking for future projects. I've been around long enough to know that I need some experienced eyes and opinions before making any purchases. If I waste 50 bucks that's one thing but 300 is something else. I barely have 300 in 4 bikes