Anyone know a good motorcycle/engine restorer in the Northeast?

dcoy

Hey All. I know it's not a mini bike, but the Rupp I bought to restore has a bad frame....so.....my next project is restoring a 1974 Indian ME 100 dirtbike. I haven't rebuilt an engine and I don't want to learn on this one! So, I'm wondering if anyone knows a good motorcycle/engine restorer in the Northeast? Any help would be appreciated. Attached is a photo of the bike. Thanks!

Last edited:
Does it even run?

Might be worth taking a stab at actually getting it running first, rather than just blow a load of dough on rebuilding the engine.

dcoy

Thanks Boomstick. I would probably do that if the parts weren't so hard to find. The flywheel is sticking, the carb is stuck, and i'm not sure about the tranny, so i'd feel more comfortable having someone who knows these better than i do check it out first. I'd just end up screwing it up even more!!!

I would say the cost to have mike do that motor is going to exceed the value of that bike.

I talked to mike about doing a cl100 motor and the cost was more then the bike would be worth restored.

Its not that he charges too much but that the labor to do it right is alot of man hours.

I would say the cost to have mike do that motor is going to exceed the value of that bike.

I talked to mike about doing a cl100 motor and the cost was more then the bike would be worth restored.

Its not that he charges too much but that the labor to do it right is alot of man hours.
This is true. If you want a showroom new bike have him do it. If you are just looking for a good running rider you should try to find someone else cause that motor will come back looking/running brand new and no sense putting it in a bike if the rest doesn't look the same

Thanks Boomstick. I would probably do that if the parts weren't so hard to find. The flywheel is sticking, the carb is stuck, and i'm not sure about the tranny, so i'd feel more comfortable having someone who knows these better than i do check it out first. I'd just end up screwing it up even more!!!
Great opportunity to learn then. Don't be shy about popping the cylinder head off & seeing what's going on in the cylinder.

Another thing you can do is pull the spark plug & dump two stroke oil down the cylinder. Rock the flywheel back & forth manually until it finally breaks free. No real force required, use the momentum of the flywheel to do it.

You would be very very surprised at how far simple little things like that can get you. No need to be a rocket surgeon.

dcoy

Hmmm those are all great points. Since this is my first restoration, my intention was to restore the bike back to really good condition - not necessarily showroom. I figured it was going to end up costing about 3 times the amount the bike would be worth. That seems to be about normal when restoring cars and such. I've torn the whole thing down, so the plan was to have the engine, tank, fenders, and re-chroming done professionally. I was going to tackle the frame and parts painting, freshen up the electrical, then put it all back together. I'm going to keep this bike and pass it down, so I want to do it right. I guess I'll contact Mike, get a quote, and go from there. Thanks for all the feedback!

My personal opinion is that it's worth at least pulling the engine, and to partially disassemble it just to see what's going on.

Who knows, you might be able to get it running as-is in a few hours with a little bit of TLC & some elbow grease.

mipowdercoater is right that between everything you'd have someone else do to it, that you'd be into a LOT of money.

Primarily why I'm saying to pull the engine apart at least for a look is just to see if it's even worth doing & dumping the money into.

Yeah, if it ends up being a crazy number, I'll have to invest in the equipment, and do more of the work myself.
My personal opinion is that it's worth at least pulling the engine, and to partially disassemble it just to see what's going on.

Primarily why I'm saying to pull the engine apart at least for a look is just to see if it's even worth doing & dumping the money into.
dcoy, I see at least $800 worth of chrome shop there. At that number, you've already exceeded the value of the machine.

Boomstick makes a good point- invest in a manual and see what's up with the motor. If you can get it to fire, great. You can always rust-treat the chrome, clean the heck out of the bike and get it on the road, "then" decide if you want to invest the other 3 grand into it.

dcoy

Thanks for the great input guys. Yeah, I've already pulled the motor, taken the head off, along with the carb, flywheel cover, oil pump cover and tranny cover. The piston moves but for some reason the flywheel magnets are hitting the magneto brushes.....it might just be an adjustment issue, not sure. So from a running perspective, I think the engine is in pretty good shape. I guess I should have tried to get the motor running before I took the whole thing apart. It's my first resto, so I'm living and learning! I could probably hook it all back up and see if i can get it to bench fire.

Not so sure about the tranny. The clutch cable was shot, but the clutch lever on the engine moves (kinda), and you can manually move the shifter bar inside the flywheel cover to change the gears. So maybe that's ok too. Again....probably should have gotten it running first.

I'm not made of money, so I hear ya about the money issue. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put a lot of money into this bike. It's kinda turned into a "not about money project". My son is already 16 and I'm trying to get my daughter involved, so I want to get the bike done pretty quickly before he leaves the house...and I would like the finished bike to be really nice....more nice than I have the ability to make it, so they get fired up about maybe doing stuff like this. I know it won't be worth much, but it'll be really cool, and you don't see these around where I live.

God...enough rambling. I'm washing all the parts this weekend, so maybe I'll take a closer look at the engine. But I've got my hands full with just the stuff I know how to do.

You guys are awesome though. Thanks!