Anyone own or use an Eastwood welder?

Hi all,
I've been looking to upgrade my weld-pak 100, I was comparing the Hobart 140, and the Hobart Iron Man, (the welder that can go 110 or 220). Anyway, I guess because I have been doing searches for welders, now I am getting ads for Eastwood welders everywhere I go on the web. Been looking at their site. Sure looks like a lot of bang for your buck, and a 3 yr warranty seems nice.

Anyone here have or use an Eastwood? Been looking at reviews, and they seem OK, Popular Mechanics only faulted their 110v model because the spool change was tricky. hmmmm

My good friend and member here has the TIG. Very nice! We also have a friend that works for Eastwood. I haven't ran into anyone that owns or uses their MIG that isn't happy with it. If I didn't get such a killer deal on my Miller that is what I would have went with.

rmm727

Most likely Eastwood doesn't build welders and if it is a good one it made by either lincoln or miller and miller made the hobarts .
Agreed. Seems likely that one would be able to buy a Lincoln or a Miller for not much more and not have to worry about which components have been cheapened to lower the price. Hit up your local welding supply shop. Might be able to get a good deal. I got my Miller 180 Autoset for $780 out the door.

Actually, their welders would more than likely be one of the Italian welders, Cebora was a big one back when I was in college in the early '90's. I bought a Daytona Pocket Turbo Mig back in '91 or '92 that I still have, though have not been able to use it for quite a while (need to get the shop electrified). Cebora used to be the supplier of many of the "House" brands and despite their lower prices they had pretty good quality. They used standardized tips so you could go anywhere to get tips.

Paul

Well, I pulled the trigger on this unit here:
MIG 175 Amp Welder with Spool Gun | MIG Welders | MIG 175 Welder ? Eastwood Welders

I just couldn't pass up the free spool gun, and infinite heat control. I'll let you know how it works out. I am pretty excited! :laugh:

Eastwood used to re-badge welders, but they now design all their own stuff, and build it in their factory in China. It is all designed, built and tested in-house. They don't rate as high as Miller or even Lincoln as far as durability/quality ratings, but they are probably getting close to/around Hobart levels.

Got my Eastwood 175, even with the free shipping, it came Fed-Ex, arriving 3 days after I ordered it.
Finally got it hooked up to a bottle of c25 tonight to try it out... WOW!

I need to play with the settings, and up my skill level a bit to work with the thinner materials, but on the thicker stuff (like flat-bar, angle iron etc) it kills my old Lincoln weld-pak. It burns into the thick stuff instantly and penetrates wonderfully, I can lay a deep penetrating stack of dimes as fast as I can trace the letter "c" back and forth.

I've got the Eastwood Tig 200 and plama cutter. Both work great and I haven't had any issues with them. At first I thought the plasma cutter wasn't working right, but that turned out to be user error on my part. Eastwood's customer service is really good and I posted questions on their forum and received answers very quickly. I couldn't beat their products for the price.

For those who might be looking or considering this $499 deal on the Mig 175 w/ spool gun. I will add that I ran 3 lbs of wire through the machine yesterday, built a HD welding cart that can hold two welders, a 200 CU FT C25 bottle and a 125 CU FT Argon bottle, and all my cords, grinders and helmets and such, AND finished my son's go-kart. I welded everything from 14 gauge sheet metal up to 1/2" cold roll, and two different sizes expanded metal wire, and a little stainless; it handled EVERYTHING without a single hick-up. My son who is a decent welder with our Flux-core machine, but has never used a mig picked it up, and was laying beautiful beads by his 3rd weld. Ran both .023 (used a whole 2lb spool), and a pound of .030, welds beautifully with both.

So far, I could not be happier with this machine. :thumbsup:

Wow --That's a smokin deal-499.00 for all that...Those spools average 200.00
If econ. treated me better Id buy.. I have a century welder and its very old and serges. I have learned to cope with that flaw, and I think its made me a better welder. I use it every other day. I am going to use it tomorrow I just traded a bunch of crap for a fixer up mini go kart with roll bar for the kids or me