Apparently I do not have two Stellar Black Beauties

Get a load of that. So now that I have it all back together with the wheels on and next to the real black beauty, its plainly obvious that this bike is not a Black Beauty. But then what is it? Was it Markus who posted that picture of the Stellar "jet" bike? That was very close to a Black Beauty. There are also differences in the holes for the seats. I'll take pictures later. Oh and the Black Beauty , the real Black Beauty there is as a screw in the rear of the frame. This most held something on like a reflector.

They are the same bike. Yes the one on the left could be just a Stellar but I believe the only difference would be a fork plate and a black paint job with the name Black Beauty on it. It is just that the lower part of the frame on the bike on the left is bent upwards and the neck is bent quite a bit also. Measure the angles of the lower front part of the frame and compare them. Also measure the length on the upper frames and compare them also. The neck is way out of whack with almost no rake. :doah:

Last edited:
Actually, they both came with fork plates.

Yeah that's the one. Virtually the same bike. To me the BB looks like it has longer bars and angles back more. The Ran Jet has the high front fender. I can't see but do the forks still have fender mounts down below? I would think the Jet would have two holes under the fork plate for that fender.

It didn't look bent to me as I was working on it. With the two piece frame it would have been easy to bend back but what Trinik says is so true... he prob liked it like that. THat steering position on the BB is really odd feeling. If it is was bent it seems like a clean job. Like it was done on purpose. But there are little differences. Like seat mounts, no disk brake caliper mount. A screw for mounting something on the BB and not this one. Then again how many years did they make the Black Beauty? Maybe one was a 72 and one was a 74 with changes.

I'll measure tonight but sounds like yo are saying if I bend the lower front two pipe I may have the long low slung angle of the first BB? I painted them to look like twins! Oh why is this all going right to hell??? Waaaaaaa!!!

Hey @JohnnyTillotson are you by any chance still active on this site? I just created an account this week as I got into vintage mini bikes about a year ago and like all of us, now have over 20 bikes. I am in Long Island, NY and somehow, someway...I ended up with your blue black beauty on the left in the pictures above. I would love to connect with you and find out more about the bike and after reading this thread, what you ultimately found out about it. Thank you so much and look forward to connecting. Also, if anyone has any stellar mini bikes or parts they would like to sell - I grew up in plainview and I also now live here full time - very interested in picking up anything and everything.

Attachments

Hey @JohnnyTillotson are you by any chance still active on this site? I just created an account this week as I got into vintage mini bikes about a year ago and like all of us, now have over 20 bikes. I am in Long Island, NY and somehow, someway...I ended up with your blue black beauty on the left in the pictures above. I would love to connect with you and find out more about the bike and after reading this thread, what you ultimately found out about it. Thank you so much and look forward to connecting. Also, if anyone has any stellar mini bikes or parts they would like to sell - I grew up in plainview and I also now live here full time - very interested in picking up anything and everything.
Yeah hey man I sold it too you. My conclusion after all that and further experience with Stellars is you had guys in the shop if they were in a pinch just slapping parts together if need be and pushing them out to stores. These were minibikes not space shuttle parts. I dont think anyone was all that crazy about making them exact the way people who collect them are today. Ive gone crazy trying to find parts that people said werent original based on one ad only to find out what i had was indeed original. Especially towards the end of Stellar/ Republic's involvement in the minibike arena. Parts were used up as best they could. Rupp was doing it. I bet they all were doing it. Think of the target group theyre selling to. A bunch of kids in a sand pit who not once had an argument that Timmy wasnt riding a true Black Beauty because look at Tommy's rake on his Black Beauty! Haha. Best I could tell from measuring and looking at it for countless hours is it wasnt run into a tree.
Hey what happened to the Clinton that was on it? If you still have it i have an nos blower housing and tank I found in my basement on the for sale page. It would be perfect.

pomfish

Yeah hey man I sold it too you. My conclusion after all that and further experience with Stellars is you had guys in the shop if they were in a pinch just slapping parts together if need be and pushing them out to stores. These were minibikes not space shuttle parts. I dont think anyone was all that crazy about making them exact the way people who collect them are today. Ive gone crazy trying to find parts that people said werent original based on one ad only to find out what i had was indeed original. Especially towards the end of Stellar/ Republic's involvement in the minibike arena. Parts were used up as best they could. Rupp was doing it. I bet they all were doing it. Think of the target group theyre selling to. A bunch of kids in a sand pit who not once had an argument that Timmy wasnt riding a true Black Beauty because look at Tommy's rake on his Black Beauty! Haha. Best I could tell from measuring and looking at it for countless hours is it wasnt run into a tree.
Hey what happened to the Clinton that was on it? If you still have it i have an nos blower housing and tank I found in my basement on the for sale page. It would be perfect.
Great call.
I have been saying this for years.
Just because an advertisement which may very well have been produced before the production bikes were built shows something like a gray cable does not make is Gospel that all of them got gray cables. Just an example, Throttle assemblies, Tires, etc probably got changed out on the production lines all the time. "Specifications subject to change" :)
When you start reading the history of how all the bankrupt small companies had their remaining stock bought by the next manufacturer up the food chain it just makes sense that the new owners of said parts are damn well gonna find a use for those parts.
Peace Out.

Thank you so much for the response! I believe I purchased this from the other guy you sold to haha...everyones gonna always strip bikes and then resell. This is the way I got it unfortunately but when I saw your thread, I thought it was pretty cool. Do you by any chance have any other stellars you want to part with ? Also, would love to connect with you so let me know if I should shoot you a message. I bought mine off someone named Mike, I am Ross and I live in plainview.

Great call.
I have been saying this for years.
Just because an advertisement which may very well have been produced before the production bikes were built shows something like a gray cable does not make is Gospel that all of them got gray cables. Just an example, Throttle assemblies, Tires, etc probably got changed out on the production lines all the time. "Specifications subject to change" :)
When you start reading the history of how all the bankrupt small companies had their remaining stock bought by the next manufacturer up the food chain it just makes sense that the new owners of said parts are damn well gonna find a use for those parts.
Peace Out.
Exactly

Thank you so much for the response! I believe I purchased this from the other guy you sold to haha...everyones gonna always strip bikes and then resell. This is the way I got it unfortunately but when I saw your thread, I thought it was pretty cool. Do you by any chance have any other stellars you want to part with ? Also, would love to connect with you so let me know if I should shoot you a message. I bought mine off someone named Mike, I am Ross and I live in plainview.
Damn that was quick. He bought like a month ago haha. I had 13 Stellars and have 5 now. Itll stay that way. One for me and one each for my kids. The minibike thing finally ran its course for me. I was in a terrible marriage and then a soul sapping 4 year long divorce. Its now obvious to me I was filling a void and distracting myself to get through those years. I got up to over 22 bikes and shit tons of engines cluttering my shed, garage and basement. What looked like treasure to me then looks like a mental breakdown to me now. I'm now the happiest ive been in 10 years with a new life and new spouse. I guess this served its purpose because I'm still here through that whole nightmare. I've been selling it all when I have the time to list it. But not selling anymore Stellars. Thats the bike I had as a kid so the brand is meaningful to me.

haha oh man - you are telling me....and I did not pay light for those either. Read your story and all I can say is that I am happy you are finally happy. I sent you a direct message with my cell number. I was raised in plainview and live here with my wife now and that's also why stellar is so important to me. Thank you for sharing and if you want, shoot me a direct message. Would love to learn more and show you what i have here as well.