Arco project

kayde

Hey peps, figured I would share this small resurrection and just try to achieve a mechanically functional bike.
Guessing that's another way of saying budget bike.

I spied this at a swap meet a few yrs ago.
A suspended 10" wheel torque converter bike with what looked like mostly oe equipment it had my interest.

So here is my fresh off the truck pics.

Attachments

kayde

https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/not-too-sure.174360/

Thanks too the awesomeness of this site my curiosity was answered quickly.

After reviewing my purchase and learning a bit about arco i started thinking what a odd but cool bike.

A torque converter driven 3.5 hp.
Rear but no front suspension this really gets me as most arcos at least have a springer front ,rear brake only, non foldable pegs and no lighting at all.

The sidewall on the rear 3x10 tire was split most way around so too get it rolling I threw on the old but better condition 3.5x10 tire and tube from my mtd 750.
Kinda gave it a big & little look while I was in the rear wheel the brake and bearings got cleaned up deglazed and lubed and the nut hackery removed.

Attachments

kayde

In all my experience I should have noticed the telltale signs of a extremely dirty gunky engine, but its the oe tec and it still had some compression so I ignored it and proceeded anyway.
A new china carb, oil and a plug, checked cleaned and set the points,
Cleaned the goop outa the tank by shaking and rinsing it with a small chain inside. I aslo tried de fogging the lense on the fuel guage cap.
I dug out a tec air cleaner from one of my piles.
Since I was in cleaning mode the converter got some attention.
i also removed the hideous number plate made from aluminum flashing.

Attachments

kayde

Once I got the 3.5 fired up it was apparent why it was so dirty as it huffed & puffed banged&clanged leaked &squeaked rapped&tapped then fouled the plug in short order.
It did everything you hope your engine wouldn't. Lol

It's funny how it puffed thick white smoke out the breather and the muffler in rhythm with the idle. Every time I ran it, it coated itself with more oil.

Should've did a compression test.

I ran it a few times afterwards and decided that if I wanted too actually ride this bike anytime soon that tec would have to be shelved and rebuilt when I get time.

So i peiced together a disguised hssk50 that will take its place for now but I had one big set back, that dang driver was super stuck on the pto and I certainly didn't wanna damage it.

I was discouraged and left the project sit for well over a year. In that time it leaked basically all the new oil.

I noticed the forks are the same as one of my other arcos only it has separate bars.

Attachments

kayde

Few weeks ago I got eager and i pulled this project back out and tried my luck at getting that driver off again, I tried a few different pullers but all wanted too flex and bend the fixed sheave...not good that's how I ruined the oe driver on my bronc.

Also tried wedging it off with cold chisels some heat and taps on pto...no luck.

Started to think leave it be pull it all off and install a new torque converter set up straying further from oe.

So I pulled the 3.5 and bolted it down too my vice where I have good view and sturdy hold on it way better than fiddling with it on the bike.
I tried the heat and wedge method again this time using more gradual tapered tire spoons as wedges and alternated tapping them in behind the fix sheave from top to botton and left and right til i saw it budged a bit a few minutes later i had succeeded in what took me a long time.

So now it's a good running bike with my temporary test stand header on it that I had too bend up slightly too fit better.

Got a temporary plastic front fender and welded up that broken bolt hole on the fender mount.

We'll ride it for awhile and come up with the next phase like a exhaust with a muffler, new seat, drive belt and possibly a color change.

Attachments