Arctic Cat Sachs help

Hey guys, I have a 1970 Arctic Cat SSSCAT with 1972 Sachs 2 speed. I am only reaching 14 mph and I think it should be faster than that. I have tried different trans fluids and no change. 13 tooth front sprocket and 37 tooth rear. Bike has 6 inch wheels and tires are fully inflated. Any suggestions?

Ding Ding

Those bikes were not very fast. They were geared fairly low to allow the little 47cc engine to move them but the top end mph just wasn't there. I remember riding one of my Sachs powered SSSCAT's and thinking...that's it? Second gear was revving pretty high and I know I was going less than 20 mph.

Could check to see if your brakes are rubbing.

Try elevating bike on a stand and allow the back wheel to rotate freely while bike is running. Might find something holding it up, or not.

Mike

Those bikes were not very fast. They were geared fairly low to allow the little 47cc engine to move them but the top end mph just wasn't there. I remember riding one of my Sachs powered SSSCAT's and thinking...that's it? Second gear was revving pretty high and I know I was going less than 20 mph.

Could check to see if your brakes are rubbing.

Try elevating bike on a stand and allow the back wheel to rotate freely while bike is running. Might find something holding it up, or not.

Mike
Ya the engine runs really well so I kinda thought it was just underpowered from the factory. Any way to change the gear ratios? Thank you.

Ding Ding

Ya the engine runs really well so I kinda thought it was just underpowered from the factory. Any way to change the gear ratios? Thank you.
Not sure on changing the gearing, however, they did manufacture these with varying gear ratios. One is supposed to a little faster top speed, or so I was told by an knowledgeable old timer. I have both versions. I have not ridden the bike that is supposed to be faster...yet. 20220321_153900.jpg 20220321_153924.jpg

Not sure on changing the gearing, however, they did manufacture these with varying gear ratios. One is supposed to a little faster top speed, or so I was told by an knowledgeable old timer. I have both versions. I have not ridden the bike that is supposed to be faster...yet. View attachment 287961 View attachment 287962
I know the later Arctic cat minis has larger wheels, so I imagine they were geared differently for that. My engine is a 72 but is on an earlier bike with 6 inch wheels, I thought maybe that was the issue but not too sure.

Ding Ding

I know the later Arctic cat minis has larger wheels, so I imagine they were geared differently for that. My engine is a 72 but is on an earlier bike with 6 inch wheels, I thought maybe that was the issue but not too sure.
That's quite possible regarding the gearing. 1972 Arctic Cat offered a 10" wheel version of the Prowler which came with the Sachs/Saxonette.
They may very well be different. The bike I haven't ridden yet is the bike that apparently had the gearing to go faster which is the 70 engine tag I listed.