axle tube question

hi guys, for those who fabricate their own axle tubes and hubs, what size tube are you using in order to slip a standard 5/8 bearing 1 3/8 OD? I was wondering if I use this "1-5/8 OD x .120 wall x 1.385 ID" if there would be too much slop for the bearing.

I am trying to avoid using a live axle setup if I can weld a hub with 4 hole on 4 inch pattern to tube with bearing that I can weld my sprocket on. the standard hubs that you find on the websites do not allow a wide tire fit which is why I am trying to extend the tube. thanks.

Thats what i used. bearing slips in and out, i put the ends in my vice and gave them a slight squeeze to make a snug fit. im using bearings with a snap ring

Thats what i used. bearing slips in and out, i put the ends in my vice and gave them a slight squeeze to make a snug fit. im using bearings with a snap ring
thanks, I wasn't sure. I was trying to see a larger image of your avatar (with the chopper), but couldn't make it out. looks an awfull lot like what I'm currently trying to build just having issues with the axle and driveline.

Hey FM,

I make all my own hubs, if you buy pipe, the od stays the same and the id gets smaller the thicker the wall gets. If you can, buY the bearing you want to use then go the metal shop with your vernier and scratch around, sure you find a nice tight fit.
I by a 38mm od with a 32 id same as my bearings, then I buy a small off cut of 32 od pipe. I cut small pieces off the 32mm od pipe and push the into the hub pipe the weld this in place.

Sorry I'll be damned if i can't find the pics I posted. Yell if you need i'll post tomorrow

Last edited:
FM, know you were looking at widening a standard hub, but its not that difficult to make your own.
Short description of how I make my own.
Cut the hub pipe to length, cut to smaller retainer pipes.

Drill a 8mm hole in the end of the hub so you can weld the retainer pipes

knock in the retainer pipe with a hard mallet

when its flush

place the bearing on top and hit it into the pipe till its flush

then knock the bearing back out for welding

I love hole saws for cutting hub disks - remember to start with the small hole first

Final product

.....its not that difficult to make your own.
Short description of how I make my own.
Cut the hub pipe to length, cut to smaller retainer pipes........Drill a 8mm hole in the end of the hub so you can weld the retainer pipes......knock in the retainer pipe with a hard mallet........when its flush......place the bearing on top and hit it into the pipe till its flush........then knock the bearing back out for welding.....I love hole saws for cutting hub disks - remember to start with the small hole first.........Final product
great info. i will save this for the future.

rmm727

hi guys, for those who fabricate their own axle tubes and hubs, what size tube are you using in order to slip a standard 5/8 bearing 1 3/8 OD? I was wondering if I use this "1-5/8 OD x .120 wall x 1.385 ID" if there would be too much slop for the bearing.
Too answer the original question. Looks like 1-3/4 x .188 might be a better fit.

1.75 -0.188 - 0.188 = 1.374
1.625 - 0.120 - 0.120 = 1.385