B & S CARB and THROTTLE questions......

As mentioned in previous posts, I am no small engine mechanic. I am at the point now where I am trying to hook up a throttle cable. When I boubght this bike the engine was not connected or even bolted on. My bike has a foot pedal to activate both the brake a throttle.
Attached are some photos of my carb and a few photos of an exploded view from Partstree.
In one of the photos I am pointing to what I assume is the throttle, and which direction would activate the throttle.
I am trying to feed the throttle to the back, rather than the front, of the engine since the rod connected to the pedal linkage is at the back of the bike.
Any ideas????
Hopefully I am explaining it correctly.
Thanks for any input.
-Doug-

Attachments

Minimichael

The linkage on my bike is a mess, but just to give you an idea of things...throttle cable pulls on the governor doohickey, which has a spring linked to the governor fin under the cover. The fin also holds (and pushes) the linkage rod coming back out from the cover. That rod pushes the butterfly your finger is on.

Attachments

The linkage on my bike is a mess, but just to give you an idea of things...throttle cable pulls on the governor doohickey, which has a spring linked to the governor fin under the cover. The fin also holds (and pushes) the linkage rod coming back out from the cover. That rod pushes the butterfly your finger is on.
Ahaaaaa. That is a great help.!
Thank you, thank you, thank you Michael.

Minimichael

Here's the doohickey again. Note also it has two springs here. I doubt this is a stock set up, but while the lower spring in the pic is the actual spring to the fin (vane), the one above is just hooked to the shroud to put tension on the doohickey so it helps pull the throttle closed when you release it.

Attachments

The 2nd diagram shows a groove in which you can clamp the near end of the cable jacket.
OK. That makes sense. The guy that worked on my motor originally to get it running mentioned that groove for the throttle to fit into. I bought this clamp. Not sure if I need or if it is correct. I was going to attach it to the hole you see circled in the photo by that groove for the throttle cable. At least that was the plan. I see you have yours secured just fine with a washer and small bolt.

Attachments

Here's the doohickey again. Note also it has two springs here. I doubt this is a stock set up, but while the lower spring in the pic is the actual spring to the fin (vane), the one above is just hooked to the shroud to put tension on the doohickey so it helps pull the throttle closed when you release it.
I see you have a second spring on yours. The rusty one about the smaller one.
Do I need that one too? What is that wire you have it attached to?

Minimichael

OK. That makes sense. The guy that worked on my motor originally to get it running mentioned that groove for the throttle to fit into. I bought this clamp. Not sure if I need or if it is correct. I was going to attach it to the hole you see circled in the photo by that groove for the throttle cable. At least that was the plan. I see you have yours secured just fine with a washer and small bolt.
That's the wrong bracket for the groove we're talking about. I want to say that bracket is for a set up mounted to the side of the crankcase. Not what you're doing.

Attachments

Minimichael

Man, you are good! Thank you. Maybe I can use it in the correct spot then.
Some day I hope to have a 1/10th of the knowledge you have. LOL.
It looks like your "speed adjuster screw" (in the middle of the doohickey) is too far. I'm guessing that'll be too much of a tug o war for that governor spring. I'd loosen it and let it rest farther to the right, to start with. Also, the idle screw at the butterfly is pretty far in and will likewise cause the engine to idle pretty high, same as the other one.

Last edited:
It looks like your "speed adjuster screw" (in the middle of the doohickey) is too far. I'm guessing that'll be too much of a tug o war for that governor spring. Loosen and let it rest farther to the right -- to start with at least. Also, the screw in your butterfly is pretty far, and will likewise cause the engine to idle pretty high, same as the other one.
I'm getting ready to ship my engine to you. LOL.
Thanks for the info Michael.
Is this the other spring you have? They must be made of gold? ($20)
It's #209A at the bottom right of the parts page.

Attachments

Minimichael

I'm getting ready to ship my engine to you. LOL.
Thanks for the info Michael.
Is this the other spring you have? They must be made of gold? ($20)
It's #209A at the bottom right of the parts page.
Don't do it man!!! Any old spring will do for this purpose . Ace hardware may charge you an arm and a leg but it'll still be a fraction of that price! Heck you might not even need it if the bike's gas pedal will push it back on its own.

Last edited: