back surgery

I've had lower back surgery twice , last time 10 years back.
the day before Christmas I hurt my back again and it seriously put me down on my back in bed doing nothing. I felt helpless, sucked to lay there for so long hoping I dont have to go through the surgery again.
Today is the second day I've been up and about able to start working again, whew, this past two weeks sucked!
Now its lots of soreness but not bone on bone crunching/grinding feeling anymore, no more stabbing pain so I am a happy guy:thumbsup:

who's been thar'?

Yep twice L4 and L5. The surgery was no big deal, but the second surgery was required due to scaring from the first. And yes, the result is almost always a loss of mobility and increased back pain.

It's better than the sciatica- which I still have, just not as bad.

Just remember, neurosurgeons cut. They'll always recommend it.

yeah, I know what they want. I agree. I was so bad this time I couldnt put my socks on no way no how. It was hard enough of a chore just to roll over in bed. it sucked massively, hasnt hurt like that in forever, I guess all the wood chopping kicked my old ass.:doah:
I'm sore but good to go now

Yep been there done that!! Four surgeries for me took out 4 disc the first 3 surgeries and the last one was just a clean up to fix my leg problems. The last time they removed a disc they "nicked" a nerve in my back and it took me 6 months of re-hab so I could walk. This last surgery no disc removed just clean up around other scar tissue to ease leg pain I was having. Now my right leg is numb from the knee down. Had the first surgery at 17 removed 2 disc. second surgery at 23 removed 1 disc. Worked construction all the time. Third surgery at 53 removed 1 disc. Fourth surgery at 56 just a clean up. Fifth surgery if I ever get health insurance to cure pain in my arms. 3 bad disc in neck. I feel for ya!! Hang in there!! Old trick; Before you get out of bed in the morning,(it doesn't work if you get up and then get back in bed) lay flat on your back and with your legs together, slowly bring your knees up to your chest and gently wrap your arms around them and squeeze your legs to your chest. do this 4 times. It straightens and aligns your spine.

Never had the surgery, but know how it feels. In the late 80's I was told I had a deteriorating disc under L1. Hasn't gone yet? Definitely have a piece broken off L5 and L5 tilts. Tailbone is over an inch to the left, hips and all are actually that much out of line. Went to a old time chiropractor, and all of that was causing severe strain on the right sacro. 4 alignments and the pain was gone. I know my limitations now, and it's held for 20+ years. Lots of problems up top to, but it mostly comes and goes, and that's good enough for me, over taking a chance on surgery.

buckeye

As you know, prior to any more surgery, all concervative measures should be exhausted.
Core strengthening is helpful for prevention.
MRI, followed by epidural steroid injections, series of tgree if needed.
Then of course if none of that works you have to decide.
Back pain is not fun. Hope things improve for you.

jrzmac

I had L4-L5 and S1-S2 taken care of in 1999. lumbar laminectomy they called it. still in a lot of pain. busting my ass every day at work doesn't help. cant wait to get on disability or something. been working in the Produve business for 28 years now! maybe they'll finally put me out to pastue. I heard that if you can get perm. disility, you can start getting your pension? and not wait until 55 like we have to now. it used to be you could get full pension after 30 years but they changed it a few contracts back. I'll never make it! thats 11 more years for me.. I'll have 38 years in by that time! aint gonna happen!!!!

As you know, prior to any more surgery, all concervative measures should be exhausted.
Core strengthening is helpful for prevention.
MRI, followed by epidural steroid injections, series of tgree if needed.
Then of course if none of that works you have to decide.
Back pain is not fun. Hope things improve for you.
I was supposed to have 5 one day, 3 in my back and 2 in my neck through the front of my throat! after the first one in my back hurt so bad I said no way could I sit there and allow that pain 4 more times much less 2 of em through my neck! screw that.
my main pain is L5-s1

I was supposed to have 5 one day, 3 in my back and 2 in my neck through the front of my throat! after the first one in my back hurt so bad I said no way could I sit there and allow that pain 4 more times much less 2 of em through my neck! screw that
Don't waste your time. First off, we're limited on how many of these we can take over a period of time, secondly the therapeutic effects are temporary. For me, it was three months. The last one I had was intensely painful. I've broken a lot of bones, and this was nothing like that.

"That" was after a year of physical therapy. Everyone has a different outcome, and for me the MRI showed definite disc impingement on my spine.

Depending on which nerves are affected, you can lose control of your bowels, or be unable to walk.

Seems to me, I traded sciatica for chronic back pain. No matter which path you chose (again) I hope you are able to beat this thing. Living in chronic pain changes a person's personality, life, everything.

buckeye

I disagree.

We treat a ton of back patients and epidurals certainly help people to avoid surgery.
If they are done correctly utilizing fluroscopy guided needle placement they help aprox 40-50% of our patients and help them avoid surgical intervention
This is what I do for a living and have been for over 30 year.

They do work in certain situations. Not all of course and you have to combine it with other modalities and have the right type of technique.
And not everyone is a candidate. Some things will not respond to epidurals and you have no other option but surgical intervention:thumbsup:

jrzmac

I had a few epidurals Buck. they worked for a little while but the pain came back in a day or so. I think it may work for like bulging discs, but if you are fully herniated I dont think much else will help. I tried everything except accupuncture! epiudurals, therapy 3 times a wekk for 3 months. all kinds of meds for pain, antiinflammatories and stuff.... I was out of work for 8 months. the first 4 1/2 were meds and therapy... the last 3 1/2 were for post surgery therapy. work hardening and stuff. it's been almost 15 years now, and I havent been out of work for my back since. I've been for my elbows, and shoulder, but my back is in pain every day! thank god for pain management. no way I'd be able to go to work 6 days a week without it!!! good luck to the o.p. I def. know the pain you're going thru.....

I disagree.

We treat a ton of back patients and epidurals certainly help people to avoid surgery.
If they are done correctly utilizing fluroscopy guided needle placement they help aprox 40-50% of our patients and help them avoid surgical intervention
This is what I do for a living and have been for over 30 year.

They do work in certain situations. Not all of course and you have to combine it with other modalities and have the right type of technique.
And not everyone is a candidate. Some things will not respond to epidurals and you have no other option but surgical intervention:thumbsup:
You disagree with what exactly? That we need to undergo this painful procedure to find out if we're one of the lucky 40-50%?

Yes mine was done with a fluoroscope. However the relief was temporary-right at three months each time. Several others I know who underwent that treatment had similar temporary results.

There are several studies done over the past few years regarding steroid treatment in sciatica cases.

Hopkins released a study showing their placebo (saline) worked better than the steroid.

Annals of Internal Medicine, Nov. 13, 2012 also noted the limited benefits.

I'm not interested in arguing the point. I pointed out my own experiences and those of people I know. Sorry if you disagree.

buckeye

I am not going to argue with you.

I have 30 years clinical experience in this.
This has been my experience in several settings.

To the origial poster, you have to do what is best for you and with consultation with your provider. Hope all goes well.for you and you get some relief without any surgical intervention.:thumbsup:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Had back op twice as well. Think in this day and age we push ourselves too far chasing a buck. Mine was stuffed setting 250 presses on my own during overtime.

Oh well nothing can be done now.

Hang in there TX good luck

That we need to undergo this painful procedure to find out if we're one of the lucky 40-50%?
Actually Tom, the answer to my question is "yes." Like you said, there are several therapies we should attempt before going under the scalpel.

My point of view on this is based on "hindsite." So to say it's a "waste of time" is wrong.

The absolute BEST therapy I've ever had was a shot of Demerol in the ass cheek! LOL, I had to be wheeled in that time.

Absolutely everything was hunkey-frikking dory after that. They could have cut my legs off and I wouldn't have felt it, or minded.

jrzmac

Actually Tom, the answer to my question is "yes." Like you said, there are several therapies we should attempt before going under the scalpel.

My point of view on this is based on "hindsite." So to say it's a "waste of time" is wrong.

The absolute BEST therapy I've ever had was a shot of Demerol in the ass cheek! LOL, I had to be wheeled in that time.

Absolutely everything was hunkey-frikking dory after that. They could have cut my legs off and I wouldn't have felt it, or minded.
they gave me that when I left the hospital after surgery.... Oh Man!!!!!! :smile:

2,for me. 1, in late '93....the 2nd, in late '09. 3rd may happen.

No real room back there for RTV. The whole family deals with sciatica.

Take care,
Scott