Backfiring clone

Hello, I just put a honda clone motor on my doodlebeast. Please excuse my ignorance, but it is backfiring, and I was wondering what is the first thing I should check to fix this problem? :shrug: Motor is brand new out of box. thanks!

backfiring when? when you rev and let off the throttle? are the wheels off the ground when you are revving? After a wide open throttle run? specifics might help the crowd here correctly diagnose and give proper input. :thumbsup:

vette66_00

If its backfiring during decelerator as your riding it it could be 3 things. First your to lean on your main jet, Second you could be to lean on your pilot jet, Third your exhaust it to big.

first i want to thank the form for the inspiration to assemble a doodle beast, only drove a block and super asome sauce!

well as for the back fire, it occurs on deceleration after at a high rpm, and after a wide open throttle, a flame pops out of the exhaust when the bike is supported on a block. i checked over the float bowl before starting the engine for the first time, (as recommended on a post of this forum), thank you all for the info, i will read more into my problem with backfire, and dink with my db, then report back.

the exhaust is stock, i will run the bike and take a plug reading,

a question, how harmful is backfiring on my clone engine?

Last edited:
I rode the bike at a high rpm for about ten minutes, and then checked the spark plug. It is pretty clean and white, which I guess means it is running lean.

Is there any way I can adjust this without changing the jets? I mean, if I have to change the jets I will, I was just looking for a solution other than that, if possible. Thanks!

Last edited:
I discovered that there is a tiny leak in my exhaust system in the weld where the pipe meets the exaust box. It's a tiny pin hole, but could this be my problem?

I rode the bike at a high rpm for about ten minutes, and then checked the spark plug. It is pretty clean and white, which I guess means it is running lean.

Is there any way I can adjust this without changing the jets? I mean, if I have to change the jets I will, I was just looking for a solution other than that, if possible. Thanks!
you can adjust your screws on your carb!

still backfirin n running real lean@!
well, i clogged the tiny pin hole on exhaust(was not the prolb)
i disassembled the carb, checked over jet, and holes, everything really clean and looks fine.
the engine pops after deceleration of full throttle.

there are no jet adjustment screws, only a small screw to let air in for the low idle.

eaggg i just don't know what to do now?

at full throttle the rmps fluctuate, i back it off just a bit and it runs smooth, (besides all that the bike runs very well). ..

Is this a stock engine.. Meaning what is done to the carb (stock filter), is this ungoverned?

You may also try adding a little choke to it, this will richen it up cutting off some of the air flow.

the engine iis a speeco 6.5 i bought at tsc black clone, everything stock , just mounted it on a doodle and it backfired from the start?????

vette66_00

Generally Stock out of the box Clones will run lean. they are setup for random inspection and Smog testing. Running lean helps them pass the EPA/CARB tests Hydrocarbons and CO2 they do not test for NOX on small engines which is what is produced in lean conditions.

Up jet 1 or 2 jet sizes it will go away. Also pulling the choke a little should help you out.

The backfiring isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not sure why you are so worried about it. As long as it runs fine up until the governor hits (which sounds like what the surging is you talked about) everything is normal. I've had clones backfire out of the box on decel and others that don't.

Valve adjustments and the jet size will make a difference but if everything else is good i'd just leave it alone... sounds neat.